- "Every time anything goes wrong anywhere in the Republic, some conspiracy buff or another trots out a theory of a cabal intent on reviving the Empire."
- ―Han Solo
A cabal was a group of individuals, criminal or otherwise, that often plotted secretly against the wishes or expectations of a government or leader. A cabal could also consist simply of the followers and underlings of a leader. The term cabalistic was used to attribute the characteristics of a cabal, especially the secretive and conspirative aspects, to another subject.
Cabals[edit | edit source]
Chancellor Palpatine, before his ascent to Galactic Emperor in 19 BBY, referred to the Delegation of 2000 as a cabal, and used its apparent treasonous intents to lure Anakin Skywalker closer to the dark side.
The Imperial Ruling Council, a governing body of the Galactic Empire was often known as the cabal. While prior to the Battle of Endor the cabal mainly consisted of the Emperor's advisors, following Palpatine's death and the Death Star's destruction, the cabal was controlled by many usurpers to the Imperial throne. The cabal ousted Sate Pestage after six months of his rule, before Ysanne Isard took it over in an attempt to gain control of the scattered remnants of the Empire.
During the Yuuzhan Vong War, the New Jedi Order feared that involving themselves in the election of a new Chief of State would cause individuals such as Senator Fyor Rodan to fear that a "secret Jedi cabal" was in the works to seize control of the New Republic government.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: The Old Republic
- Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter (Mentioned only)
- The Cestus Deception (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith novelization
- Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided
- Slave Ship (Mentioned only)
- X-Wing: The Bacta War
- I, Jedi (Mentioned only)
- Assault at Selonia (Mentioned only)
- Vision of the Future (Mentioned only)
- Ylesia (Mentioned only)
- The New Jedi Order: Recovery (Mentioned only)
- The New Jedi Order: Destiny's Way (Mentioned only)
- Dark Nest II: The Unseen Queen (Mentioned only)
Notes and references[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
- Cabal on Wikipedia