- "Would sacrificing one life to prevent it have been such a bad bargain?"
"That is a question all beings eventually ask themselves. For those who wish to remain civilized, there can be only one answer."
- ―Borsk Fey'lya and Ponc Gavrisom
Calibops were an avian sentient species known during the times of the New Republic. The species had manes and prehensile wingtips. They also had a reputation of being better with words than with acts, something that not even the Calibops themselves argued.
Biology and appearance
A Calibop was a tall avian sentient. At least one Calibop had pale blue eyes. A Calibop also had a mane of feathers that the individual could shake, sometimes indicating an easygoing criticism.
A Calibop had a big beak that could be used to whinny in the species' equivalent to a sigh, or to expel sounds created in the depths of the Calibop's throat. A Calibop had a robust voice generated in the beak.
Calibops had big wings that did not allow them to fly, but an individual could flutter them to increase his walking speed. The wings could be folded either in front or behind the person, and were strong enough to be used in melee combat. The tips of the wings were prehensile like fingers. Calibops used these as fingers to press keys, or to flicker restlessly.
Calibops also had tails that they could flicker in what was considered the Calibop version of a shrug.
Society and culture
- "But there are many in the New Republic who believe that Calibops are skilled at words and nothing more. Perhaps the time for words has ended, and the time for action has arrived."
- ―Ponc Gavrisom
The Calibops had a reputation for being particularly rhetorical, even if it detracted their skill for other activities seen as more active. The Calibops themselves were familiar with their stigma, but many of them believed that words were useful at certain times, even if only actions could be useful at other times.
- "I was only doing my job."
- ―Ponc Gavrisom
Calibops in the galaxy
- "He never seems to do anything but talk."
"That's what Calibops are best at."
- ―Han Solo and Luke Skywalker
One of the most prominent Calibops in galactic history was Ponc Gavrisom, Chief of State of the New Republic from 18 ABY to 21 ABY, and signatory of the Bastion Accords of 19 ABY that marked an official ending to the Galactic Civil War.[source?]
In 29 ABY, a tall Calibop was seen among the Mandalorian Protectors, also including Humans and Bothans, gathered by Boba Fett in Caluula Station, soon before it was assaulted by the Yuuzhan Vong invaders.
Behind the scenes
- Specter of the Past (First appearance)
- Specter of the Past unabridged audiobook
- Vision of the Future
- Vision of the Future unabridged audiobook
- The New Jedi Order: Agents of Chaos I: Hero's Trial
- The New Jedi Order: Star by Star
- The New Jedi Order: The Unifying Force
- Millennium Falcon
- Millennium Falcon audiobook
- The Essential Chronology (First pictured)
- The New Essential Chronology
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- The Essential Atlas