- "This is General Callan Grayne, Republic High Command. I've just arrived in orbit above Hoth. Quite a mess down there."
- ―General Grayne
Callan Grayne was a Human male who served in the Republic Army during the Great Galactic War with the Sith Empire, and later became a general in Republic Strategic High Command during the subsequent Cold War. As the Galactic War broke out with the Empire at the end of the Cold War, Grayne was sent to the icy planet of Hoth to take charge of the Republic offensive there. While coordinating the Republic Military on the planet, Grayne enlisted the aid of the Jedi Knight known as the Hero of Tython, and later assigned Sergeant Fideltin Rusk to the Jedi on the order of fellow High Command member Durant.
- "We had some short-lived adventures, back during the war."
"You can hardly tell that left leg isn't real, sir. The medtechs did good work."
- ―Grayne and Fideltin Rusk
A Human male, Callan Grayne joined the Republic Army sometime after 3665 BBY and was placed in a squad that included the Chagrian Fideltin Rusk. The two served together for some time during the Great Galactic War with the Sith Empire, fighting in engagements such as the Geonosis campaign, in which they worked alongside a Human named Durant. During Grayne's time with the squad, he was injured in battle and lost his entire left leg, though doctors fitted him with a convincingly lifelike prosthetic.
The war ended in 3653 BBY with the signing of the Treaty of Coruscant, and during the subsequent Cold War Grayne became a general in Republic Strategic High Command, the highest level of command within the Republic Military. Around 3642 BBY, Grayne was dispatched to take control of the Republic military forces on the planet Hoth, which was becoming the site of a three-way battle between the Republic, the Empire, and the White Maw pirates. All three factions were fighting for control of the ruined starships and prototype technology that had been scattered across the planet's surface since the Battle of Hoth over a decade prior in 3665 BBY. Arriving in orbit, Grayne was alerted to the presence of several Imperial weapons platforms on the edge of Crescent Canyon, which was located only a short distance away from the Republic's Aurek Base on the west edge of the Icetromper Wastes. Learning that two Jedi Knights, Leeha Narezz and the Jedi known as the Hero of Tython, had commandeered the 301st Infantry for a covert mission, Grayne contacted the Hero. As General Var Suthra had spoken highly of the Knight's military prowess, Grayne requested that the Jedi help the Military in return by destroying the emplacements and eliminating the threat they posed.
A short time later, Grayne learned that Rusk, now a sergeant in the 301st, was about to attack a White Maw base in the Glacial Fissure region as part of the Jedi mission, and he ordered Rusk's squad to destroy several nearby munition dumps and thereby weaken the White Maw. After the Jedi completed the mission, Grayne spoke with fellow High Command General Durant, and the two decided to rotate the 301st Infantry back to the Republic capital of Coruscant and send the 88th Armor in its place. However, Durant also decided to indefinitely assign Rusk to the Hero in order to aid the young Knight, and Grayne requested a meeting with Rusk's squad and the Jedi at Aurek Base. The general relayed Durant's orders to Rusk after a brief reminiscence of their time serving together, then returned to overseeing the battle against the Empire on Hoth.
Personality and traits
- "I'm told you commandeered some men from the 301st Infantry for your classified operation. The Imperial offensive left us in bad shape. We've been scratching your back. Now we need a favor."
- ―General Grayne, to the Hero of Tython
Callan Grayne had dark skin, brown eyes, and black hair. A capable soldier and military leader, Grayne was determined to use every resource available to him and was perfectly willing to compromise with the Jedi, as long as he received military aid in return. As a result of his service during the Great Galactic War, Grayne sported a prosthetic left leg. On Hoth he wore gray, white, and maroon combat attire suited to the cold weather.
Behind the scenes
- "General Grayne believes the pirates are reinforcing. He ordered me to hit those munitions dumps. Thought you might want to join in."
- ―Sergeant Rusk
Callan Grayne appeared in Star Wars: The Old Republic, a video game released by BioWare and LucasArts in 2011, in which he is a recurring character in the Hoth storyline for the Jedi Knight class. Grayne contacts the player in the mission "Suicide Squads" and requests aid for destroying nearby weapons emplacements, and Sergeant Rusk contacts the player in the mission "Position of Power" with an additional objective of targeting munitions dumps. Grayne finally appears in person at the end of "The Price of Victory," in which he assigns Rusk to the Knight and thereby grants the player his or her fourth companion character.
- Star Wars: The Old Republic (First appearance)
Notes and references
- Star Wars: The Old Republic—Jedi Knight Mission: "Suicide Squads" on Hoth
- Star Wars: The Old Republic—Jedi Knight Mission: "The Price of Victory" on Hoth
- The Star Wars: The Old Republic Encyclopedia indicates that Elin Garza forged her identity credentials at the age of fifteen to enlist in the Republic Military, meaning that the minimum age must be greater than fifteen. The same guide also gives Fideltin Rusk's birth year as 3680 BBY, meaning that Rusk had to enlist sometime after 3665 BBY. As Grayne and Rusk both started in the same squad, Grayne joined the Military around the same time.
- Star Wars: The Old Republic's base game content about ten to twelve years after the signing of the Treaty of Coruscant, which is dated to 3653 BBY by Star Wars: The Old Republic Encyclopedia. The Prologue and Act I of the class storylines are assumed to take place in 3643 BBY, as they are roughly concurrent to each other and the Jedi Knight Act I storyline is dated to 3643 BBY by The Old Republic—The Lost Suns 2. Additionally, and Star Wars: The Old Republic Encyclopedia establish that the Battle of Ilum and the end of Act III for the class stories occur in 3640 BBY. Additionally, Act II for all classes, while featuring conflict between the two factions, occurs prior to the official collapse of the Treaty of Coruscant, which The Old Republic: Annihilation places in the middle of 3641 BBY. Taken together, this means that base game content spans from 3643 BBY to 3640 BBY, and the class storylines extend over this period, this article assumes that Act II takes place within 3642 BBY and the first half of 3641 BBY. places
- The Journal of Master Gnost-Dural
- Star Wars: The Old Republic—Jedi Knight Mission: "Position of Power" on Hoth