Can-cells were large, winged insectoids of more than three meters in length. On the ground, they walked on six spindly legs, but in the air, used four long wings to propel themselves, while their long, segmented tails provided stability. The can-cell was an insectivorous creature, but was also known to eat small rodents.
The Wookiees of Kashyyyk considered the appearance of a can-cell a good omen, and often kept them as pets. These animals were not dangerous to their masters, but were brave in battles. The Wookiees also realized that can-cells could be used as mounts, but they were too big to ride the insects themselves. Jedi Master Tsui Choi performed reconnaissance missions during the Battle of Kashyyyk while riding a can-cell.
The Wookiees used these creatures as a source of inspiration, creating masterpieces of vehicle design, like the ornithopters which were used for defending the planet against the Separatist forces. These same catamaran-like vessels often attracted the can-cells with their buzzing sound, making landing areas a common place for finding these creatures.
They were ubiquitous, flying from the darkened forest floors to the highest treetops. This insect was not dangerous, however, and could be tamed by other species. Certain beings small enough were even able to ride them, such as Yoda on Kashyyyk.
Can-cells were also found on the planet Teth, where they built their nests on the underside of rock ledges. Anakin Skywalker rode a can-cell to escape Asajj Ventress while rescuing Rotta the Huttlet. A smaller breed of can-cell could also be seen flitting around the swamps of Rodia. They were also apparently found on Aleen, where the clone troopers under Commander Wolffe saw an Aleena riding one as they descended with relief supplies.
Behind the scenesEdit
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars film / novel
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Bombad Jedi"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Innocents of Ryloth" (Carcass only)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Mercy Mission"
- Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith (First appearance)
- The Jewel of Yavin (Appears in hologram)
- The Kashyyyk Depths (Possible first appearance) (Appears in flashback(s))
- Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith: The Visual Dictionary (First mentioned)
- Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: The Official Starships & Vehicles Collection 8
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars Character Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars Comic UK 6.47
- Star Wars: What Makes a Monster?
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Star Wars: The Clone Wars Character Encyclopedia
- ↑ 2.0 2.1
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Mercy Mission"
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Bombad Jedi"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Innocents of Ryloth"
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars film