A cape was a long item of clothing that fell loosely over the shoulders from the neckband. In many humanoid societies, wearing a cape was a sign of nobility and power. That was notably the case on the planet of Serenno. For that reason, the life-supporting armor of Darth Vader was equipped with an armorweave cape, as a way to announce his special status as Emperor Palpatine's personal enforcer. Capes could also visually enlarge their wearers' silhouette to produce an intimidating effect.
Lando Calrissian and Dooku typically wore capes as part of their outfit. General Grievous sometimes wore a cape as did some of his IG-100 MagnaGuard bodyguards. Pre Vizsla, Grievous's MagnaGuards, and some Senate Guards wore a cape on one shoulder only. Sith-style armor often had capes both as a sign of superiority over inferiors, and a way of concealing themselves.
- Shadows of the Empire Sourcebook
- The Secrets of Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire
- The Jedi Academy Sourcebook
- Star Wars: Attack of the Clones: The Visual Dictionary
- Darth Vader: A 3-D Reconstruction Log
- Star Wars Galaxies Trading Card Game – Threat of the Conqueror (Card: Trader's Belt) (backup link)
- The Art and Making of Star Wars: The Old Republic
- Star Wars: The Old Republic Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: Force Collection (Card: Lando Calrissian) (Picture only)