- "Han Solo. I'm captain of the Millennium Falcon."
- ―Han Solo
In civilian life, a captain was an individual who was in charge of a starship. In military organizations such as the Imperial Navy or the Royal Naboo Security Forces, a captain was an officer of high rank with leadership responsibilities.
- "My name's Rex, but you'll call me Captain or Sir."
- ―Clone Captain Rex
By the Fall of the Republic, the Galactic Republic used the position of captain in its Judicial Forces, and, in 22 BBY, the government created a proper army. This new Republic Military, made up of clone troopers from the planet of Kamino, used the rank of captain in both its army and navy. Clone trooper officers who held the rank were known as Clone Captains, although non-clone officers could also serve as captains.
Many clone navigation officers, some of whom held the rank of captain, wore a single-rowed plaque, with two red and one blue square (from left to right). In the army, Clone Captains led companies of 144 troopers and directly reported to a Clone Commander. However, as many of the Jedi Generals had a creative approach to the chain of command, some captains worked directly with to their Jedi officer. Clone Captain CT-7567, also known as "Rex," was a notable Clone Officer. Rex led the 501st Legion's Torrent Company and worked directly with Jedi General Anakin Skywalker, serving as the Jedi's first in command.
Clone Captains in standard Phase I armor were initially distinguished by maroon markings on their white armor, but many captains began to customize their armor to showcase their individuality, show their company's image, and keep from being easily identified by snipers.
Confederacy of Independent SystemsEdit
- "Captain! Show this droid what happens when you use that word."
- ―Osi Sobeck, to a droid commando captain
The Confederacy of Independent Systems used the rank of captain. In the Separatist Droid Army both organic officers and droids could hold the rank. Rackham Sear, a male Kage Warrior, served as a captain in the Confederacy military. The Separatists also utilized BX-series droid commando captains; one such captain served at the Citadel.
In the First Galactic Empire, there were captains in the Imperial Navy and Imperial Army. A stormtrooper captain from the army served as a military advisor to Queen Trios of Shu-Torun.
Alliance to Restore the RepublicEdit
This held for the early rebellion as well.
- "I know I'm not supposed to initiate contact with officers, but look at you! Never took you for captain material. Batch Eight, heigh-ho!"
- ―Stormtrooper 926, to a disguised Finn
The First Order ranks were marked by a combination of uniform color and arm insignia, worn on the left sleeve of the uniform. The First Order captains wore a gray uniform with a black armband edged in silver, bearing the name of Dillon, a particular Imperial hero of the Galactic Civil War, depicted in silver Aurebesh letters.
- William Shakespeare's The Phantom of Menace: Star Wars Part the First
- Star Wars Epic Yarns: A New Hope
- LEGO Star Wars: The Resistance Rises – "Poe to the Rescue"
- LEGO Star Wars: The Resistance Rises – "Attack of the Conscience"
- LEGO Star Wars: The Force Awakens
Notes and referencesEdit
- Captain on Wikipedia