- "Oh, they've encased him in carbonite. He should be quite well protected, if he survived the freezing process, that is."
- ―C-3PO's observation of Han Solo being frozen in carbonite.
Carbon-freezing was the process by which liquid carbonite was flash-frozen into a solid state, encasing materials for transport in a strong metal alloy. Such materials could even include sentient beings.
History[edit | edit source]
During the Clone Wars, Jedi Knight Anakin Skywalker came up with the idea to be frozen in carbonite to avoid being detected by the the battle droid's scanners of Lola Sayu's blockade and the Citadel, which ultimately led to the Battle of Lola Sayu.
Later, Han Solo was frozen in carbonite on Cloud City. The freezing process resulted in hibernation sickness, causing temporary blindness. Princess Leia Organa and several other residents of Cloud City under went carbon-freezing by the Imperial Garrison under Captain Tanch.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Non canon appearances[edit | edit source]
- LEGO Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures – "The Lost Treasure of Cloud City"
- LEGO Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures – "Return of the Kyber Saber"
- LEGO Star Wars: Droid Tales Episodes I-III (Mentioned only)
- LEGO Star Wars: The Force Awakens
Sources[edit | edit source]
- Princess Leia: Royal Rebel
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 2 (Highlights of the Saga: The Capture of Han Solo)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 17 (Databank A-Z: Ewoks–Finn (FN-2187))
- Star Wars: Alien Archive
- Star Wars: How Not to Get Eaten by Ewoks and Other Galactic Survival Skills
- Classic Star Wars (Set: 75243 Slave I - 20th Anniversary Edition)
- Disney Gallery: The Mandalorian – "Directing"
- Disney Gallery: The Mandalorian – "Legacy"
Notes and references[edit | edit source]
- The Empire Strikes Back: So You Want to Be a Jedi?
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Citadel"
- Star Wars Rebels – "In the Name of the Rebellion"
- Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back
- Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi
- Star Wars 3
- Star Wars 4
- The Mandalorian – "Chapter 1: The Mandalorian"