- "This facility is crude, but it should be adequate to freeze Skywalker for his journey to the Emperor."
- ―Darth Vader
Carbon-freezing chambers were tibanna gas freezing technology used in Cloud City on Bespin to freeze carbon. "Vacuums" located on Bespin took in tibanna gas from the depths of the planet and released it into the chambers to be frozen for more convenient transportation. While the gas is suspended inside the chamber, liquid carbonite was applied, which cooled around the gas, freezing it.
Description[edit | edit source]
Freezing chambers were also sometimes used to seal living beings—though one miscalculation could lead to death. This process required molten carbonite to be released into the chamber which was then flash frozen; a resulting blast of air, soon revealing a solidified encasement. The process could induce hibernation sickness after being released, as was the case with Han Solo. The Alderaanian Medical Association also established that inhaling carbon-freezing smoke was a health risk.
History[edit | edit source]
Jedi Knight Anakin Skywalker used a carbon-freezing chamber to encase himself, his Padawan Ahsoka Tano, his master Obi-Wan Kenobi and several clone troopers, so they might infiltrate the planets Gwori and Lola Sayu undetected during the Clone Wars. In 3 ABY, Darth Vader used the carbon-freezing chamber on Cloud City to encase Han Solo in carbonite. The frozen Solo was given to Boba Fett, to deliver to Jabba the Hutt for a bounty. The chamber was then reset, as Vader intended to encase Luke Skywalker in carbonite in order to transport him to the Emperor without resistance.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Sources[edit | edit source]
- A Guide to the Star Wars Universe
- Star Wars: The Roleplaying Game
- Galaxy Guide 2: Yavin and Bespin, Second Edition
- "Boba Fett: Mystery Man in Not-So-Shining Armor"—Star Wars Galaxy Magazine 1
- Shadows of the Empire Sourcebook
- Galaxy Guide 3: The Empire Strikes Back, Second Edition
- Star Wars: The Roleplaying Game, Second Edition, Revised and Expanded
- "Size Matters Not"—Star Wars Galaxy Magazine 9
- "Star Wars Kids Answer Quest"—Star Wars Kids 5
- Star Wars: Power of the Jedi
- The Essential Guide to Weapons and Technology
- Star Wars Trading Card Game – The Empire Strikes Back (TCG) (Card: )
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- Star Wars ABC
- "Secrets of the Force"—Star Wars Insider 123
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars The Complete Season Three
- Star Wars: The Ultimate Visual Guide: Updated and Expanded
- Star Wars: The Card Game – Core Set (Card: There Is No Escape) (Picture only)
- Star Wars: The Card Game – Core Set (Card: Bounty Collection) (Picture only)
- Star Wars: The Card Game – A Dark Time (Card: Carbonite Chamber Activation)
- Star Wars: The Card Game – Between the Shadows (Card: The Jedi's Resolve) (Picture only)
Notes and references[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars Customizable Card Game – Cloud City Limited (Card: Frozen Assets)
- Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back
- Star Wars Customizable Card Game – Cloud City Limited (Card: Smoke Screen)
- Star Wars The Clone Wars: Shipyards of Doom
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Citadel"
- Star Wars: Tales of the Jedi - Dark Lords of the Sith