- "Oh, they've encased him in carbonite. He should be quite well protected. If he survived the freezing process, that is."
Carbonite was a liquid substance that was made from carbon gas and could change into a solid through rapid freezing. Goods could be encased in carbonite for preservation, through a process known as carbon-freezing, and an example was condensed Tibanna gas because carbon-freezing was used as a way to condense it for transport.
Carbonite blocks could also be used to place people in hibernation. Before the invention of the hyperdrive, some early spacers would use carbonite to endure long voyages. That technique, however, had brutal side effects, collectively referred to as hibernation sickness. Droids such as the DLC-13 mining droid could be made out of heat-resistant carbonite.
During the Galactic Civil War, Skywalker, now Darth Vader, intended to trap his son Luke in carbonite. Having blackmailed Lando Calrissian into letting him use the carbon-freezing facility on Bespin, he tested the device out on Han Solo. Boba Fett transported the carbonite block to Jabba's Palace, where Jabba displayed it as a trophy.
A few days after Solo's capture, Leia Organa was apprehended by the Empire on Bespin and also frozen in carbonite, along with other inhabitants of Cloud City, in order to be transferred to Imperial prisons. The prisoners were quickly rescued by Skywalker and Calrissian, however, who were able to free them before they were transported off-world.
Non canon appearancesEdit
- LEGO Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures – "The Lost Treasure of Cloud City"
- LEGO Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures – "Race on Tatooine"
- LEGO Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures – "Return of the Kyber Saber"
- LEGO Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures – "The Embersteel Blade"
- LEGO Star Wars: Droid Tales Episodes I-III (Mentioned only)
- LEGO Star Wars: The Force Awakens
- LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ The Empire Strikes Back: So You Want to Be a Jedi?
- ↑ Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary, New Edition
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back
- ↑ Return of the Jedi: Beware the Power of the Dark Side!
- ↑ Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Citadel"
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi
- ↑ Star Wars 3
- ↑ Star Wars 4
- ↑ Chapter 1: The Mandalorian