The carrion spat was an avian native to the planet Corellia. It had common ratite features: flightless and large, with a raptor-like beak and two long legs. Like the kaadu of Naboo, carrion spats had no upper extremities at all, unusual among much of galactic fauna. They were mostly featherless, but both males and females alike had plumage issuing from their upper pelvic regions.
Plumage as well as coloration varied among carrion spats, ranging from crimson and brown to shades of green. They were often domesticated, and could be fitted with a harness and bridle, serving as popular mounts for sentient species throughout the galaxy. Some could be found on Boz Pity. Like the tauntaun, the carrion spat sometimes served as a military mount for various groups because of its excellent speed and mobility over terrain.
A larger, variant subspecies called the "giant carrion spat" existed as well on Corellia. This subspecies, apart from size, was very similar in appearance to the common carrion spat. Aside from physical appearance, the giant carrion spat was much less common and could be observed, in the wild, only at very high elevations.
- "Well the first problem has to do with some enraged carrion spats. I don't rightly know what enraged them, but they do a lot of damage. I need you to go thin out their pack and defeat their pack leader, Gravefeather."
- ―Pol Handerin, to a spacer
During the Galactic Civil War, a pack of carrion spats lived in the Riverlands of Corellia. After the Battle of Yavin, the enraged carrion spats attacked the farms on the outskirts of Coronet City, such as Pol Handerin's farm. CorSec Lieutenant Mack Jasper dispatched a recruit to kill the pack leader Gravefeather and most of the pack.
Behind the scenesEdit
- Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided Quick Reference Guide
- Star Wars Galaxies: The Total Experience: Prima Official Game Guide
- Star Wars Galaxies: The Complete Guide: Prima Official Game Guide
- Suns of Fortune