Before the RepublicEdit
Castell was reached by other sentient species during the early blazing of the Core Worlds and Colonies between 27,500 BBY and 25,000 BBY. Having begun experimentation with the tumble hyperdrive during the Infinite Empire's reign over parts of the galaxy, the Gossam Courivers were able to leave Castell and colonize planets such as Felucia circa 27,000 BBY.
Old Republic eraEdit
While the Cold War between the Republic and the reconstituted Sith Empire kept the galaxy in suspense, the corrupt authorities of Castell confiscated 'dangerous objects' from inhabitants and shipped the trinkets to other worlds.
During the latter half of the Republic's Golden Age Castell fell into a decades-long depression, only to find an ally in the Commerce Guild. Upon the Guild's intervention, the war and slaughter brought about by starvation and economic crisis ended abruptly as the Guild swept in and funneled money into the economy by buying much of the world. In exchange, many Gossams worked as indentured servants for a portion of their life in order to maintain ownership of their property. One such Gossam was the young, corporate-minded Shu Mai, who rose through the corporate world to become Chief of Property Resources. As Mai became more and more prolific in her career, she managed to repurchase the entire planet from the Commerce Guild and lead her people to prosper. In return for her work, Mai raised rents on the world and demanded that her people give her tribute in thanks for gaining back the planet's independence from the Guild.
True independence never came, however, as Mai was named Presidente of the Commerce Guild and Castell remained one of its largest powerhouses. Mai would eventually lead her people away from the Republic during the Separatist Crisis, pledging the Commerce Guild's clandestine funding in exchange for a place on the governing Council of the Confederacy of Independent Systems. While creating an elite group of Gossam Commandos, Mai and the other Separatists incited the Clone Wars, a bloody war of separatism, against the Republic. As Castell was surrounded by Republic space, the region was patrolled by the 3rd Sector Army of the Grand Army of the Republic.
Castell remained under Separatist control until at least the beginning of the Outer Rim Sieges in 20 BBY. However, the planet eventually fell to Republic forces near the the end of the war, much to Presidente Mai's dismay. As a result, many Gossam refugees fled to Felucia. Retreating to Felucia and denounced by her people, Mai was reassured by her superior, Count Dooku that the loss of her homeworld was all apart of his master plan.
In 19 BBY, following Presidente Mai's execution along with the rest of the Separatist Council on Mustafar by Darth Vader, the war ended and the Galactic Empire arose from the ashes of the Republic.
Following the fall of the Confederacy of Independent Systems, the Commerce Guild was disbanded and its remaining holdings were absorbed by the Galactic Empire. Because of their former allegiances, the Gossams of Castell were targeted by the Empire for enslavement, and the factories of the world were repurposed to manufacture military goods for the Imperial Navy. Undoing any of the meager good that Shu Mai and the Commerce Guild had managed to achieve, Castell spiraled back into economic turmoil under the Empire and was unable to supply many soldiers to the fledgling Rebel Alliance, though many expressed support for the group.
Castell was eventually freed of the Imperial rule after the Rebel Alliance emerged victorious over the Empire.
However, by the time of the Yuuzhan Vong War, the planet was still struggling to recover despite their newfound independence. By 27 ABY, the Core Worlds and Colonies fell to the Yuuzhan Vong and te Castell system was conquered by the invaders.
- Galactic Power Brokers"—Star Wars Gamer 10 "
- Ultimate Alien Anthology
- Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith: The Visual Dictionary
- The New Essential Guide to Droids
- The New Essential Guide to Alien Species
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- The Essential Atlas
- Star Wars: The Official Starships & Vehicles Collection 37
- The Essential Guide to Warfare
- Star Wars: The Ultimate Visual Guide: Updated and Expanded
- Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook (Galaxy map)
- The Bounty Hunter Code: From the Files of Boba Fett
- Star Wars: Age of Rebellion Core Rulebook (Galaxy map)
- Star Wars: Force and Destiny Core Rulebook (Galaxy map)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2
- ↑ 2.00 2.01 2.02 2.03 2.04 2.05 2.06 2.07 2.08 2.09 2.10 2.11 2.12 The Essential Atlas
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 3.6 3.7 3.8 3.9 The New Essential Guide to Alien Species
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 4.5 4.6 Ultimate Alien Anthology
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 The Essential Guide to Warfare, p. 22
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia, Vol. I, p. 111 ("Castell")
- ↑ Star Wars: The Old Republic—Scavenging Crew Skill Mission: "It's For Their Own Good"
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones
- ↑ The New Essential Chronology
- ↑ The Essential Guide to Warfare
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 Reversal of Fortune
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
- ↑ The New Essential Guide to Droids, p. XVIII