- "That business on Cato Neimoidia doesn't... doesn't count."
- ―Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi
Only the richest of the Neimoidians were allowed to live on the planet. Their treasures were protected in vaults located in difficult landscape and protected by B1-Series battle droids. The cities of Cato Neimoidia were built on large bridges spanning massive rock arches.
Cato Neimoidia featured vast forests rich in flora and fauna. Notable species included the Neimoidian kreehawk, a dangerous but beautiful avian found in some aviaries.
- "This is hardly your planet anymore—not since you signed it over to the Banking Clan in return for a stake in this new droid foundry."
- ―Senator Rush Clovis, to Senator Lott Dod
The wealthiest and most resource-rich colony worlds were known as "purse worlds" that served as administrative posts ruling their own set of colonies. These purse worlds were the only colonies allowed to carry the name of Neimoidia. Other Neimoidian purse worlds include Deko Neimoidia and Koru Neimoidia, both were nearby in the same region of the Galaxy. Cato Neimoidia was the oldest purse world and may have been one of the earliest Neimoidian colonies.
Rise of the Empire
- "This planet is vital to the Separatist movement...A victory here could turn the tide of war!"
- ―Jedi Master Ferroda
In 19 BBY, the Republic launched an attack on the redoubt, led by Jedi Generals Obi-Wan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker, as well as Republic Navy Commander Jan Dodonna, to find Viceroy Nute Gunray of the Trade Federation and bring him to justice. Although Gunray escaped, he left behind hoards of valuables, all of which was captured by the Republic. In addition to this, he also left behind the mechno-chair he used to contact the other Separatist leaders and Darth Sidious.
The bridge cities persisted in resisting the Republic, leading to a fierce aerial battle in which Plo Koon was shot down by his own clone pilots shortly after Order 66 was enacted by Supreme Chancellor Palpatine, who declared himself Emperor soon afterwards. Also, the Jedi clones X1 and X2 fought in the battle, and X2 killed Jedi Master Ferroda in Gunray's palace for attacking his comrades in self-defense, though he later turned against the Empire after believing that what the newly founded Empire did on Cato Neimoidia was wrong.
After Anakin Skywalker ended the Clone Wars with the massacre of the Separatist Council on Mustafar, including Nute Gunray. Acting Viceroy Sentepeth Findos, on Neimoidia resisted for a brief moment but was forced by Stormtroopers to sign a peace treaty with the Empire a few days after the Clone Wars ended and almost immediately after the Battle of Neimoidia had concluded, the Battle of Cato Neimoidia had ended as well, in favour of the New Order. This gave all of the Federation's resources to Palpatine's disposal to help him build the galaxy's new regime, which had made the Trade Federation a puppet government.
- "Cato Neimoidia was offered willingly to Emperor Palpatine, who graciously took this jewel little planet under his protection. Since then, Cato Neimoidia has thrived and prospered. Much, if not all of the credit for this, must be given to the leadership of our wise and benevolent leader, Baron Tarko."
- ―Imperial propaganda on Cato Neimoidia
Months after the Clone Wars ended, agents of Bail Organa infiltrated the palace of Darga the Hutt in the ruined capital city of Zarra on Cato Neimoidia. They freed Darga's prisoner, Jedi Master Denia. Before leaving the palace, the agents overheard Darga's majordomo having a conversation with Inquisitor Draco. Four months after the Republic's transformation into the Galactic Empire, Jedi Dass Jennir came to Cato Neimoidia looking for work.
In 2 BBY, at the time when the Galactic Civil War began, the planet had been designated as an Imperial Protectorate of the Empire and thus outfitted with an Imperial garrison led by Baron Merillion Tarko. The Baron's iron rule over the planet, however, came to an end when a clone of Galen Marek flew to Cato Neimoidia to rescue General Rahm Kota, resulting in the destruction of much of Tarko-se, its arena, and the death of Tarko by being eaten by a Gorog as well.
For nineteen years, the federation continued to be a puppet government, until the Imperial Senate was dissolved in 0 BBY, taking the federation with it shortly before the Battle of Yavin. However, there was still some of the militia that had remained.
Located in New Republic space as of 27 ABY, Cato Neimoidia was conquered by the Yuuzhan Vong in the run-up to their capture of Coruscant during the Yuuzhan Vong War. The forces that took the planet went on to attack Commenor.
- The New Essential Chronology
- Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith: The Visual Dictionary
- "Guide to the Grand Army of the Republic"—Star Wars Insider 84
- "Order 66: Destroy All Jedi"—Star Wars Insider 87
- Star Wars Fandex Deluxe Edition
- The Clone Wars Campaign Guide
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: The Ultimate Visual Guide
- Star Wars: The Official Starships & Vehicles Collection 8
- Star Wars: The Official Starships & Vehicles Collection 23
- The Essential Atlas
- Star Wars: The Official Starships & Vehicles Collection 33
- Star Wars: The Official Starships & Vehicles Collection 35
- "Juno and the Jedi"—Star Wars Insider 120
- Star Wars: The Ultimate Visual Guide: Updated and Expanded
- The Essential Reader's Companion
- "Unexpected Journeys"—Star Wars Insider 140
- Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook
- Star Wars: Age of Rebellion Core Rulebook
- Lords of Nal Hutta
- Desperate Allies