- "This one old 434 unit had the most spectacular recipe for Cavaellin creams—snappy little cookies from the Cavaell system filled with exotic fruit. Their spicy zing made you wonder if you were bitin' them or they were bitin' you."
- ―Strono Tuggs, The Official Black Spire Outpost Cookbook
Cavaellin Spice Creams, also known as Cavaellin creams, were spiced sandwich cookies that consisted of a pair of brown-colored cookies that had a brightly-hued fruit-and-cream filling between them. The cookies originated in the Cavaell system.
The Artiodac Strono Tuggs formerly worked as head chef for Maz Kanata, who operated a tavern out of her castle on the planet Takodana. Sometime during the early decades of that work, Tuggs' kitchen crew included many droids, some of which contained recipe databases that he utilized; he acquired a recipe for Cavaellin creams from an old 434 unit. In 34 ABY, centuries later and after the castle's destruction, Tuggs published the recipe in his cookbook The Official Black Spire Outpost Cookbook. His description of the cookies expressed his appreciation of their spicy zing.
Behind the scenes
Cavaellin Spice Creams were introduced to the new Star Wars canon in the 2019 recipe book Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge: The Official Black Spire Outpost Cookbook, written by Marc Sumerak and Chelsea Monroe-Cassel. The out-of-universe ingredients for the cookies are butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar, egg, molasses, baking soda, ground cinnamon, ground ginger, five-spice powder, and all-purpose flour. The filling is made with cream cheese, desert pear syrup or orange extract, powdered sugar, and heavy cream.
Cavaellin spiced creams originated in the Star Wars Legends continuity, where they were first mentioned in Galladinium's Fantastic Technology, a 1995 roleplaying supplement to Star Wars: The Roleplaying Game by West End Games. In that continuity, however, they were depicted as a candy rather than a cookie when they first appeared in the 2003 massively multiplayer online role-playing game Star Wars Galaxies.
- Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge: The Official Black Spire Outpost Cookbook (First mentioned)
Notes and references
- Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge: The Official Black Spire Outpost Cookbook
- Ultimate Star Wars, New Edition
- Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge: The Official Black Spire Outpost Cookbook indicates that Strono Tuggs learned the recipe from a 434 unit that worked for him, and he stopped employing droids after the events of "A Recipe for Death." That story is set when Tuggs has served in Takodana Castle for more than twenty years, and Star Wars Character Encyclopedia: Updated and Expanded establishes that Tuggs served in the castle for centuries before the Battle of Takodana, an event that Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates to 34 ABY. As such, "A Recipe for Death" must take place at least 180 years before 34 ABY, and Tuggs must have learned the Cavaellin creams recipe during that time period.
- Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge: The Official Black Spire Outpost Cookbook establishes that the in-universe book was published at the same time as when the First Order was searching for the Resistance base on Batuu. As that search occurs in Galaxy's Edge: Black Spire, which is set in 34 ABY according to the reasoning here, the cookbook must have been published in 34 ABY.
- Galladinium's Fantastic Technology
- Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided—Item: "Cavaellin Creams"