Chachi De Maal was a female Duros who, like most of her species, was a pilot and starship engineer. She often worked for the Corporate Sector Authority and trained other pilots for deep space missions. Chachi was native to Jivv Space City, a large orbiting metropolis on Duro, but eventually left to start up business on Tatooine with her husband, Ohwun De Maal. Together, the two owned several docking bays in Mos Eisley, including Docking Bay 27, 43, 67, 71, 86, and 94. They also owned the droid WED-9-M1. In the two Duros line of work in which shady characters were constantly renting our their ship storage facilities, they were known to use several well-known aliases. Among Chachi's aliases were Baniss Keeg and Probos.
The couple once discovered a star with three dead planets, all of which were rich in Helixell, a key mineral in hyperdrive fuel. As of 0 BBY, they were deciding on whether to report their findings to the Empire or secretly claim the Helixell for themselves. Chachi and her husband were present in Chalmun's Cantina during the fateful encounter of Luke Skywalker and Han Solo. It just so happened that Solo had been storing his ship, the Millennium Falcon in their Docking Bay 94. When Solo and his cargo blasted out of the docking bay to escape the Galactic Empire, they forgot to pay their bill, irritating Owhun and his wife and souring their previously friendly relationship with Jabba Desilijic Tiure. The couple was also known to have smuggled bacta to the Rebel Alliance in their freighter, Millanti.
Behind the scenesEdit
Keeg, along with Madak, were called "Goggle-Eyes" on the set of A New Hope before their names were developed later. In the Star Wars Gamer 2 article, The University of Sanbra Guide to Intelligent Life: The Duros, Keeg and her partner Madak were both identified as the two Duros from Galaxy Guide 7: Mos Eisley that owned the famous Docking Bay 94. The information clarified that Baniss Keeg and Ellorrs Madak were aliases used by the Duros couple. This retcon also identified Chachi De Maal with the Duros known as Probos that appeared in the Star Wars Screen Entertainment sourcebook.
In the Masters of the Empire interview with host Jay Laga'aia that took place on the Celebration Stage during Celebration V in August, 2010, it was revealed that, during the cantina scene from A New Hope, Keeg and Madak were both played by Jon Berg.
- Hammertong: The Tale of the "Tonnika Sisters"
- Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope (First appearance)
- Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Chewbacca (Appears in flashback(s))
- The Star Wars Holiday Special
- Galaxy Guide 7: Mos Eisley (First identified as Chachi De Maal)
- Star Wars Screen Entertainment (as "Probos")
- Galaxy Guide 1: A New Hope, Second Edition
- Star Wars Customizable Card Game – Premiere Limited (Card: Baniss Keeg)
- Star Wars Customizable Card Game – Premiere Limited (Card: WED-9-M1 "Bantha Droid")
- Mos Eisley Adventure Set
- "The Last Page"—Star Wars Insider 48
- The University of Sanbra Guide to Intelligent Life: The Duros"—Star Wars Gamer 2 "
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 22 (CAN 3, Mos Eisley Cantina Characters)
- Inside the Worlds of Star Wars Trilogy
- Star Wars: Complete Locations
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- "The Beastmaster!"—Star Wars Insider 126
- Star Wars: Force Collection (Card: Ohwun De Maal (★★))
- Star Wars: Force Collection (Card: Chachi De Maal (★★))