Challenge was a roleplaying-game magazine published by Game Designers' Workshop between 1986 and 1996. It contained multiple adventures for West End Games' Star Wars D6 system. It is unclear whether those adventures were licensed by West End Games and Lucasfilm, and therefore their canonicity is ambiguous. However, some elements have been referenced in canon sources such as The Essential Atlas.
History[edit | edit source]
Announced in Journal of the Travellers Aid Society (JTAS) No. 22, the new magazine was going to expand JTAS to a larger format and would expand coverage to Game Designers' Workshop's new game Twilight 2000 and other games. The larger size was to allow printing things like deck plans or sector maps, which would not fit in the smaller JTAS format.
To maintain continuity for Traveller fans (and JTAS subscribers), the first issue was numbered 25. Also to maintain continuity, Challenge featured a separate section labeled "Journal of the Travellers' Aid," which lasted through issue 28. Traveller articles continued to appear in Challenge, but issues were frequently dominated by articles of other gaming systems, including Twilight 2000, 2300AD, Space 1889, and—starting with the expansion to 64 pages in issue 30—games not published by Game Designers' Workshop.
Challenge ran for 53 issues (through number 77), until the 1996 closure of Game Designers' Workshop.
Issues[edit | edit source]
- Challenge 32 - Alone Against the Empire
- Challenge 35 - Team Recovery and The H-Wing Strike Fighter
- Challenge 37 - Wookiees Amok
- Challenge 38 - Starfighters Down
- Challenge 40 - Blaster Weapons of the Rebel Alliance
- Challenge 41 - Paid in Full
- Challenge 43 - On the Dark Side and The Nuns of G'aav'aar'oon
- Challenge 44 - Jet Packs
- Challenge 46 - Imperial Research Station 13
- Challenge 47 - The Rebel Air Force: Combat Airspeeders
- Challenge 49 - Dandrian's Ring (article)
- Challenge 56 - Power Suits!
- Challenge 57 - Green Squad 3 (article)
- Challenge 58 - Battle for Mandalore
- Challenge 60 - Character Templates
- Challenge 61 - Rogue Metal
- Challenge 62 - Encumbrance: An Optional Rules System
- Challenge 63 - Talents: An Optional Rules System
- Challenge 64 - Limping Lady (article)
- Challenge 65 - Shadow of the Dark Side
- Challenge 66 - Disturbance in the Force
- Challenge 67 - Buried Treasure
- Challenge 68 - Parts is Parts
- Challenge 70 - Bantha Cannon
- Challenge 72 - Ananuru Express
- Challenge 73 - New Character Templates: A Supplement to Star Wars' Mos Eisley Galaxy Guide
- Challenge 74 - HoloNet Waystation (article)
- Challenge 76 - Death by Triflexia
- Challenge 77 - Pandora's Box