- "Most of the best freighter pilots can be found here. Only watch your step. This place can be a little rough."
- ―Obi-Wan Kenobi, to Luke Skywalker
Chalmun's Spaceport Cantina, also known simply as Chalmun's Cantina, or as the Mos Eisley Cantina, was a drinking and dining establishment located in the city of Mos Eisley on the desert world of Tatooine. Although a dimly lit tavern known for frequent outbreaks of violence, it was a popular stopping point for pilots, smugglers, bounty hunters, alien misfits and renegades.
- "Leave your droids outside. You don't want Wuher on your case."
"Keep your blaster holstered! Why ask for trouble?"
"Find an empty table or barstool. Crowding other customers will only end in tears."
"Be friendly. Buy a drink for your neighbor at the bar."
"Applaud the band—even if they're way off-key!"
"Make pleasant conversation and try to laugh at bad jokes."
"Tip the bartender, especially if you make a mess."
- ―Mos Eisley Cantina house rules
During the Blockade of Pantora, the seedy bar, at this point run by a Nimbanel bartender, was a known haven for criminals and lowlifes, many under the employ of Jabba the Hutt. Greedo, a bounty hunter hired by Trade Federation official Sib Canay, kidnapped Che Amanwe Papanoida, the daughter of Pantoran Supreme Chairman Notluwiski Papanoida, and held her captive in one of the cantina's back rooms. When Greedo was forced by Jabba to lead the Chairman Papanoida and his son Ion to the cantina, a firefight broke out in the bar between the three Pantorans and Greedo's associates.
Around the time of the Battle of Kadavo during the Clone Wars, two Alderaanian tourists visiting Tatooine died in a speeder-bike accident. The Zygerrian News implied that the two had gotten intoxicated in the cantina of Mos Eisley, thereby causing the accident.
Following the Battle of Dathomir, Asajj Ventress made her way to the Mos Eisley cantina, where she began to drown her sorrows with prow. One of the patrons, a bounty hunter named Oked, made a pass at her, and when he refused to relent, was killed by Ventress. Two other bounty hunters, Bossk and Latts Razzi, coerced Ventress into joining their job in Oked's place.
Once Opress had found Maul, the two began a killing spree in order to draw out Maul's nemesis Obi-Wan Kenobi. Opress appeared on a screen displaying open bounties, prompting Ventress to take the job in an attempt to take down her former underling.
Following the mission to Raxus Secundus, Ventress returned to Tatooine to enlist Boba Fett's Syndicate to help her rescue Jedi Master Quinlan Vos from Serenno. She met with Boba Fett in the cantina, and after some debating, the two joined forces to free Vos.
Galactic Civil War
- "Sorry about the mess."
- ―Han Solo tips after killing Greedo
By the time of the Galactic Civil War, the cantina had changed ownership twice since the Clone Wars: the Ranat siblings known as the Vriichon brothers turned the building into an illegal spice den, until the Wookiee Chalmun turned it back into a bar. Under his employ was the gruff human Wuher, who, despite not being the friendliest bartender in the galaxy, was respected by his customers for never asking any questions, and Ackmena, the female night-shift bartender, who had friendlier manners.
Kenobi and Luke Skywalker came to the cantina shortly before the destruction of Alderaan to charter a course to the doomed planet, in order to deliver technical readouts on the Empire's Death Star. After having their droids tossed out due to the cantina's no-droid policy, they hired the smuggler Han Solo and his compatriot Chewbacca, who needed a way to pay off their debt to Jabba the Hutt. Their visit was not uneventful; the Jedi Master and his apprentice were harassed and confronted by Doctor Cornelius Evazan and his thug Ponda Baba, the latter of whom lost his arm after provoking Kenobi. Afterwards, Solo had an altercation with the bounty hunter Greedo, who was eager to collect the bounty on Solo. Solo, however, killed him with a single shot after Greedo foolishly fired first—and missed. Han then tossed Wuher some credits and left the cantina to prep the Millennium Falcon for the two fugitives.
Shortly after the Battle of Yavin, Darth Vader employed Fett to track down and capture the mysterious pilot who destroyed the Death Star. Knowing that Solo frequented Mos Eisley, the bounty hunter would interrogate and promptly murder his victims after they failed to provide any sufficient leads. Entering the Mos Eisley Cantina, Boba Fett addressed the gathered crowd that he would not leave until he was provided the information he sought. After brutally wounding a six-armed alien and intimidating the bar patrons, Wuher responded that no one knew the boy, and that he had only come in some time ago with Kenobi. After shooting a length of fibercord and causing a fleeing patron to fall down, the teen soon broke down and told Boba the boy's name—Luke Skywalker. He then shot the boy and headed towards Ben Kenobi's home in order to discover more about Luke's identity. Unbeknownst to Boba, his discovery of Skywalker's name at Chalmun's Cantina would soon allow Darth Vader to realize that he had a son.
New Republic Era
- "Hey, droid, I'm a hunter. I'm lookin' for some work."
"Unfortunately, the Bounty Guild no longer operates from Tatooine."
"I'm not looking for Guild work."
"I am afraid that does not improve your situation, at least by my calculation."
- ―Din Djarin and EV-9D9
By 9 ABY, after the fall of the Empire, the no-droid policy was abolished. Multiple supervisor droids served as the new bartenders. When the bounty hunter known as "the Mandalorian" visited the cantina looking for work, one of the droid bartenders, EV-9D9, stated that the Bounty Hunters' Guild no longer operated from Tatooine. He clarified that he operated separately from the Guild, but the droid replied stating that no work was available. The Mandalorian was immediately greeted by rookie bounty hunter Toro Calican, who teamed up with him to hunt down the assassin Fennec Shand.
A sandstone construct, the building housed a bar area with a maximum occupancy of 102 patrons, and had twelve drinks available on tap, with the size of a standard drink being 16 ounces. The most popular drinks at the cantina were blue milk, Tatooine Sunset, Jawa Juice, Yatooni Boska, Tatooni Junko, and Hutt's Delight.
Behind the scenes
A skit on a 1977 episode of The Richard Pryor Show took place in the "Star Wars Bar," with Pryor playing the bartender. Though the skit did not reuse the original sets, many of the masks from A New Hope's cantina scene were used for the patrons.
- Disney Infinity 3.0
- LEGO Star Wars Rebels Movie Short
- Star Wars Epic Yarns: A New Hope
- LEGO Star Wars: Droid Tales (as Chalmun's Spaceport Cantina)
- LEGO Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Mentioned only)
Notes and references
- Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope
- Star Wars: Complete Locations
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Sphere of Influence"
- (slide 5 caption)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Bounty"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Brothers"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Revenge"
- Dark Disciple
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary, New Edition
- Star Wars 5
- Darth Vader 6
- The Mandalorian is set about five years after the events of Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi, which Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates to 4 ABY. Furthermore, "A Certain Point of View"—Star Wars Insider 202 dates the skirmish on Nevarro and the second rescue of Grogu—which are depicted in the The Mandalorian episodes "Chapter 7: The Reckoning" and "Chapter 16: The Rescue," respectively—to "9 ASW4," or nine years after the events of Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope. Since Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates the events of Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope to 0 BBY–0 ABY, the events of "Chapter 1: The Mandalorian" through "Chapter 6: The Prisoner" must have taken place around 9 ABY, while the events of "Chapter 7: The Reckoning" through "Chapter 16: The Rescue" took place in 9 ABY. establishes that
- The Mandalorian – "Chapter 5: The Gunslinger"
- Disney Gallery: The Mandalorian – "Connections"