- "We'll let fate decide."
A chance cube, also known as a die (pl. dice), was a small, frequently—but not always—cubical object used for gambling or making 'A or B' decisions. Most common dice were cubes giving only two results after being thrown; three of its sides were one color, while the other three were another color. Some dice were weighted by less sporting owners as it was more easily 'tempered' than a flipped coin.
History[edit | edit source]
- "I just happen to have a chance cube here. Blue—it's the boy. Red—his mother."
- ―Watto, deciding whether to wager Anakin Skywalker or his mother in a bet
Watto used a chance cube he had with him to gamble with Qui-Gon Jinn on the outcome of the Boonta Eve Classic. After refusing to bet both Anakin Skywalker and his mother Shmi against Anakin Skywalker's Podracer, he offered to roll his chance cube to decide which slave would be wagered: blue for the boy, red for his mother. Qui-Gon Jinn used telekinesis to influence the fall of the chance cube to ensure that Anakin's freedom would be at stake. As Watto had weighted the die to land on red, and had five red spaces and one blue, to ensure winning such random tosses, Jinn's trick took him quite by surprise. (Note: in the film, Watto's cube appears to be the standard arrangement: 3 red sides and 2 blue sides are visible as it rolls; the sixth side is never seen. Based on Watto's shocked reaction at the result, it is likely that it was weighted for red)
During a mission to the Unknown Regions in 28 ABY, Jedi Knights Saba Sebatyne and Tekli played a dice game while on board the Jade Shadow. Their infrared-readable dice cubes appeared simply black to the Human eye.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: The Old Republic
- Star Wars: The Old Republic Cartel Market
- Star Wars Episode I: Racer (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace novelization
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace
- Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace comic
- Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace junior novel
- Episode I: Queen Amidala
- Star Wars: Republic: Rite of Passage
- Jedi Quest: Path to Truth
- Hero of Cartao (Mentioned only)
- The Clone Wars: Prelude
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Ambush"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Sphere of Influence"
- Clouded Paths
- Coruscant Nights I: Jedi Twilight
- (Mentioned only) (As "Dice")
- Star Wars: Tiny Death Star (Non-canonical appearance)
- Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope (First appearance)
- Star Wars: Assault Team
- Beyond the Rim
- Scoundrels (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided
- The Bounty Hunters: Scoundrel's Wages
- Survivor's Quest (Mentioned only)
- The New Jedi Order: Force Heretic I: Remnant
- Fate of the Jedi: Conviction (Mentioned only)
Sources[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars Customizable Card Game – Premiere Limited (Card: Han's Dice)
- Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided Quick Reference Guide
- Star Wars Fandex Deluxe Edition
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- Star Wars Galaxies Trading Card Game – The Shadow Syndicate (Card: Chance Cube)
- Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook
- Enter the Unknown
- Fly Casual