Chandrila was a planet in the Core Worlds of the galaxy. The female human Mon Mothma hailed from Chandrila, and represented her homeworld in the Senate of the Galactic Republic. It was also the homeworld and birthplace of Ben Solo.
Chandrila was one of the planets targeted for destruction by Emperor Sheev Palpatine's second Death Star, who planned to use the station's planet-shattering superweapon to end the Rebellion through sheer terror.
Following the Battle of Endor in 4 ABY, Chandrila became the capital of the New Republic and the seat of the newly formed Galactic Senate as a tribute to the Republic of old. It was not permanent, however, as the Republic chose to rotate its capital world based on elections.
The planet's capital city was Hanna City which hosted the Chandrila Senate house; the site of the New Republic's Galactic Senate in the months following the Battle of Endor. Other known locations on Chandrila included the Old Gather-House, the Senate Plaza, and the Silver Sea. The settlement Junari Point was located a few klicks outside Hanna City and hosted a bar.
During the Republic and EmpireEdit
In ancient times, Chandrila was settled by settlers who built the Old Gather House. Chandrila was a member of the Galactic Republic and during the Clone Wars, Mon Mothma served as Chandrila's senator in the Galactic Senate. During the early rebellion against the Galactic Empire, Chandrila was listed as an Alliance to Restore the Republic safe world. A map of the galaxy with a legend listing the various Alliance safe worlds, starfighter hubs at level five or higher, rebel operations sectors and regional headquarters, and shadow planets with deep space caches, included Chandrila. The map was later included in The Rebel Files.
During the Galactic Civil War, Chandrila supported the Alliance to Restore the Republic; making the planet a target of the Galactic Empire's second Death Star. Olia Choko regarded Chandrila as a small planet that was the origin point of big ideas.
Following the Battle of Endor in 4 ABY, Chandrila became the capital of the New Republic, the successor government to the Rebel Alliance. The New Republic's Galactic Senate was first established in Chandrila's Hanna City. Queen of the Core Network began broadcasting on Chandrila. Imperial prisoners from war zones like Coruscant and Akiva were imprisoned on Chandrila. New Republic Starfighter Corps pilots were trained at Landing Platform OB-99 near the Silver Sea.
Under the New RepublicEdit
After Han Solo and Norra Wexley's team freed a hundred Rebel prisoners from Ashmead's Lock on Kashyyyk, the former prisoners were flown to Chandrila where they were accommodated in temporary housing and received medical treatment. Later, the Senate accepted Grand Admiral Rae Sloane's offer to conduct peace talks near Hanna City. In secret, this was a pretext for Fleet Admiral Gallius Rax to launch his attack on the New Republic leadership using the former prisoners as unwilling assassins controlled with inorganic bio-chips installed in their brains. The resulting Liberation Day attacks were broadcast live on HoloNet to audiences across the galaxy. This had the result of undermining morale in the New Republic and setting the stage for the Battle of Jakku. The attack also led for calls to relocate the New Republic capital to a more fortified world.
In the final months of the Civil War, the Republic began the process of relocating the Senate to the Mid Rim world Nakadia. However, Chancellor Mothma and several senators including Princess Leia Organa and Tolwar Wartol still maintained offices on Chandrila. During the Battle of Jakku, Wartol tried to assassinate Mothma by bombing her office. However, Mothma was out of her office but her Adviser Auxi Kray Korbin was killed. Shortly later, Mothma, Organa, Sondiv Sella, and Sinjir Rath Velus met with Grand Vizier Mas Amedda to sign the Galactic Concordance; which facilitated the Empire's surrender to the New Republic. The signing ceremony took place at the crystal cliffs north of Hanna City. On the same day, Organa gave birth to her son Ben Solo. The Imperial capitulation was followed by a week–long Festival of Liberation.
In Luke Skywalker's dream in 34 ABY on Ahch-To, in which he imagined how things were if he hadn't joined the Rebel Alliance and instead stayed on Tatooine and married Camie Marstrap, the Empire used the Death Star to not only destroy Alderaan but also Mon Cala and Chandrila.
Behind the scenesEdit
In canon, Chandrila first appeared as the New Republic capital in Chuck Wendig's 2015 novel Aftermath. In Star Wars legends Chandrila was first mentioned in Kathy Tyers' 1994 novel The Truce at Bakura.
- Rebel Journal by Ezra Bridger (First mentioned)
- Ultimate Star Wars
- Star Wars Character Encyclopedia: Updated and Expanded
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens Beginner Game
- Star Wars: Complete Locations
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- Star Wars Propaganda: A History of Persuasive Art in the Galaxy (First pictured)
- Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide
- Star Wars: On the Front Lines
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know, Updated and Expanded
- Star Wars: The Rebel Files
- Solo: A Star Wars Story The Official Guide
- Star Wars: Scum and Villainy: Case Files on the Galaxy's Most Notorious
- Star Wars: Smuggler's Guide
- Ultimate Star Wars, New Edition
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Moving Target: A Princess Leia Adventure
- ↑ 2.00 2.01 2.02 2.03 2.04 2.05 2.06 2.07 2.08 2.09 2.10 2.11 2.12 2.13 2.14 2.15 2.16 2.17 Aftermath: Life Debt
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 Aftermath: Empire's End
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Last Shot
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 Ultimate Star Wars
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 6.3 6.4 Star Wars: Scum and Villainy: Case Files on the Galaxy's Most Notorious
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 7.3 7.4 7.5 Aftermath
- ↑ Star Wars Character Encyclopedia: Updated and Expanded
- ↑ Star Wars Rebels – "Secret Cargo"
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 Star Wars: The Rebel Files
- ↑ Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary
- ↑ Star Wars: The Last Jedi: Expanded Edition