Chaos, referred to as Hell in Corellian mythology and also known as The Void, was a reputedly dark region of the Netherworld of the Force inhabited by the spirits of deceased Dark Lords of the Sith, Dark Jedi, and the spirits of all evil sentient beings who had died.[source?] In Naboo mythology, Chaos was envisioned as a dark pit kept closed by six impenetrable gates.
History[edit | edit source]
- "Similarly, Chaos is where dead Sith Lords are believed to dwell in torment."
- ―Darth Plagueis
The Dark Underlord was said to have been summoned from the realm of Chaos by a Sith Acolyte during the New Sith Wars. Palpatine's soul fell into this realm following his final death, where he would be a wandering, disembodied spirit residing in perpetual madness. Marka Ragnos's spirit was summoned from Chaos by Tavion Axmis and the Disciples of Ragnos, though Ragnos was summarily defeated and returned to the netherworld by Jaden Korr. It was believed that if a Force user's body perished after a failed attempt at transferring essence, the user's life energy was lost and dispersed in Chaos. Darth Plagueis once reported that, according to legend, those who failed to punish their enemies during their lifetime would be forced to harbor their ill feelings in Chaos forever. Plagueis, however, didn't believe Chaos was a real place, but only the perception of imminent dissolution some beings felt when they died. In his opinion, only stronger minds who refused the loss of their identity would perceive this pain. Chaos was also briefly referenced by House Palpatine Patriarch Cosinga Palpatine, citing that House Palpatine was one of the six gates separating Chaos. Chaos was not inescapable, however: Darth Sidious, after perishing during the Battle of Endor, had escaped Chaos with the help of Sith Spirits and Sate Pestage, and required several deceased Jedi to ensure he never escaped again after his final death at Onderon.
Chaos in language[edit | edit source]
- "Then I'll see you in hell!"
- ―Han Solo
"Chaos take me" was a mild expletive, sometimes used when one decided to do something he or she knew was not very wise. Saying "Go to Hell" or "See you in Hell" were similar expletives meant to insult or threaten whomever they were directed to. Another use was in the phrase "There will be Hell to pay." They can also be used when either startled or expressing disbelief regarding someone's story, evidenced by the phrases "What the hell is that?" and "Like hell you did!," respectively. A similar phrase, "Where the hell are you going?!," can be used in the context of the former. A more toned-down version of the expletive is known as "Heck."
Beings destined for hell were considered "damned." The word "damn" is also sometimes used as an expletive, either for emphasis (eg, when describing how good someone is at their profession) or to curse someone.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Sources[edit | edit source]
- Dark Empire Sourcebook (As "the void")
- TIE Fighter: The Official Strategy Guide (as "Hell," used as expletive.)
- The Essential Guide to Characters (First mentioned as a realm)
- TIE Fighter Collector's CD-ROM: The Official Strategy Guide (as "Hell," used as expletive.)
- (as "heck," used as expletive)
- "Building a Better Jedi: Justin Chin on Dark Forces II"—Star Wars Insider 31
- Star Wars Customizable Card Game – Hoth Limited (Card: Frostbite)
- Inside the Worlds of Star Wars: Episode I
- The Emperor's Pawns"—Star Wars Gamer 5 "
- The New Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels (as part of a ship's name)
- Star Wars Trading Card Game – The Empire Strikes Back (TCG) (Card: )
- Star Wars Trading Card Game – The Empire Strikes Back (TCG) (Card: ) (Picture only)
- Star Wars: Complete Locations
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia (As "Nine Corellian Hells")
- Book of Sith: Secrets from the Dark Side
- The Bounty Hunter Code: From the Files of Boba Fett
Notes and references[edit | edit source]
- Dark Empire Sourcebook
- The Essential Guide to Characters
- Darth Plagueis
- Book of Sith: Secrets from the Dark Side
- Empire's End 2: Rage of the Emperor
- Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy
- The Dark Side Sourcebook
- Empire's End
- Lando Calrissian and the Mindharp of Sharu
- Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back
- Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Rookies"
- Millennium Falcon novel
- Star Wars 6: Is This the Final Chapter?
- Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones
- Star Wars: Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike
- Star Wars 10: Behemoth from the World Below