- "Rumor has it the wreckage of pilot Ched Varga's Y-wing is still visible in an ice lake there. I will say no more."
- ―MK-09, on the dangers of the pilot proving grounds
Ched Varga was a male starfighter pilot who joined the Rebel Alliance at some point during the Galactic Civil War and became noted as a Y-wing pilot. Rebel pilots at that time frequently tested their skills in the unofficial "pilot proving grounds," competing to set the best time on a series of courses through a Rebel salvage yard hidden in an asteroid field. At some point prior to 3.5 ABY, Varga was killed in a crash while flying a course that saw pilots negotiate a figure-eight comprising a series of rings and tunnels that intersected above a frozen nitrogen lake in a cavern at the center of a large asteroid.
The wreckage of Varga's Y-wing was still in the cavern when pilot Ace Azzameen undertook the same challenge in 3 ABY. Azzameen's MK-series maintenance droid, MK-09, cited Varga's death as an example of the dangers of the pilot proving grounds.
Behind the scenes
- "This is an even more challenging version of the previous ringed courses. In addition to the rings, you will be flying through asteroid caverns and over the frozen nitrogen lake where the famous Y-Wing pilot, Ched Varga, met his doom."
- ―Description of "Crazy Eight" from the X-Wing Alliance mission file
Ched Varga was created for the 1999 LucasArts video game Star Wars: X-Wing Alliance. The wreckage of a crashed Y-wing can be seen in the pilot proving grounds scenario "Crazy Eight." The pilot of the fighter is not named in the description of the training scenario shown in the game, but was identified as Ched Varga in Star Wars: X-Wing Alliance: Prima's Official Strategy Guide. The game's mission file for the scenario also contains a more detailed description that includes Varga's name and death while attempting the course.
- Star Wars: X-Wing Alliance (First appearance) (Starfighter only)
- Star Wars: X-Wing Alliance: Prima's Official Strategy Guide (First identified as Ched Varga)
Notes and references
- According to Star Wars: X-Wing Alliance: Prima's Official Strategy Guide, Ace Azzameen completes the pilot proving grounds immediately after joining the Rebel Alliance. Azzameen later participates in the raid on the Suprosa, which The New Essential Chronology places in 3.5 ABY. Since Varga has already died when Azzameen takes part in the proving grounds, his death in the Salvage Yard as depicted in Star Wars: X-Wing Alliance must have taken place before this date.
- Star Wars: X-Wing Alliance
- Star Wars: X-Wing Alliance: Prima's Official Strategy Guide