- "Rumor has it the wreckage of pilot Ched Varga's Y-wing is still visible in an ice lake there. I will say no more."
- ―MK-09, on the dangers of the pilot proving grounds
Biography[edit | edit source]
Ched Varga was a male starfighter pilot who joined the Rebel Alliance at some point during the Galactic Civil War and became noted as a Y-wing pilot. Rebel pilots at that time frequently tested their skills in the unofficial "pilot proving grounds," competing to set the best time on a series of courses through a Rebel salvage yard hidden in an asteroid field. At some point prior to 3.5 ABY, Varga was killed in a crash while flying a course that saw pilots negotiate a figure-eight comprising a series of rings and tunnels that intersected above a frozen nitrogen lake in a cavern at the center of a large asteroid.
The wreckage of Varga's Y-wing was still in the cavern when pilot Ace Azzameen undertook the same challenge in 3 ABY. Azzameen's MK-series maintenance droid, MK-09, cited Varga's death as an example of the dangers of the pilot proving grounds.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
Ched Varga was created for the 1999 LucasArts video game Star Wars: X-Wing Alliance. The wreckage of a crashed Y-wing can be seen in the pilot proving grounds scenario "Crazy Eight." The pilot of the fighter is not identified in the description of the training scenario shown in the game. However, the mission file for the scenario contains a more detailed description that mentions Varga's death while attempting the course. Varga's crashed Y-wing is also mentioned in the description of the mission given in Star Wars: X-Wing Alliance: Prima's Official Strategy Guide.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: X-Wing Alliance (First appearance) (Fighter only)
Sources[edit | edit source]
Notes and references[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: X-Wing Alliance
- According to Star Wars: X-Wing Alliance: Prima's Official Strategy Guide, Ace Azzameen completes the pilot proving grounds immediately after joining the Rebel Alliance. Azzameen later participates in the raid on the Suprosa, which The New Essential Chronology places in 3.5 ABY. Since Varga has already died when Azzameen takes part in the proving grounds, his death occurs before this date.
- Star Wars: X-Wing Alliance: Prima's Official Strategy Guide