- "They're supposed to be great warriors. Clever, resourceful, proud. Intensely loyal to one another, too."
- ―Eli Vanto, on the Chiss
The Chiss Ascendancy was the governing body of the Chiss, their domain located in the Unknown Regions. They had little contact with the rest of the galaxy, and until Grand Admiral Thrawn's ascent in the ranks of the Galactic Empire, their existence was regarded as mostly a legend even within the Unknown Regions.
Biology and appearanceEdit
- "What is he, some kind of Pantoran with an eye condition?"
- ―Driller MarDapp, commenting on Thrawn's appearance
The Chiss' were near-humans, meaning their shape, features, and dimensions were greatly similar to those of humans. Their skin, however, was blue, their hair a shimmering blue-black, and their eyes a glowing red. Because of those first two characteristics, they were frequently mistaken for Pantorans, blue-skinned humanoids from Pantora, although Pantorans did not have red eyes. Besides their coloration, Chiss eyes were slightly better than those of humans, their visible spectrum edging a little into the infrared range. Additionally, their hearing was also sharper.
Force-sensitivity, refered to as the Sight by the Chiss, was incredibly rare and manifested in limited abilities, namely precognition (Third Sight) and telepathy (Second Sight). These Chiss were almost always female. Their abilities diminished as they grew older and eventually disappeared. The secrets of Second and Third Sights were among the best kept in the Chiss Ascendancy, to such an extent that many Chiss themselves were unaware of their full extent or even their existence. While he was familiar with the intrecacies of Third Sight, Grand Admiral Thrawn was only aware of the existence of Second Sight but unaware of its abilities. Girls identified with the ability to use the Sight were trained to act as navigators for the Chiss fleet through the treacherous hyperspace routes of the Unknown Regions. They were known as the Ozyly-esehembo, the Chiss words for "sky-walkers".
Society and cultureEdit
- "But one fact has always remained constant: The Chiss must be approached from a position of strength and respect. One must have strength, for the Chiss will deal only with those capable of keeping their promises. One must have respect, for the Chiss must believe that those promises will be kept."
- ―Passage from Thrawn's journal
Despite their secrecy, one Chiss known as Thrawn became an officer of the Galactic Empire. Attaining the rank of Grand Admiral, he participated in the Imperial Military's efforts to combat the early rebellion in the years prior to the Battle of Yavin.
Shortly after the Battle of Yavin, former Senator Johhar Kessen acquired the services of several female Chiss mercenaries. During the Galactic Civil War, a Chiss female spy infiltrated the Empire as a human Imperial officer using fake skin.
Behind the scenesEdit
The Chiss species first appeared, albeit unidentified, in Heir to the Empire, a 1991 Star Wars Legends novel written by Timothy Zahn as the first entry in The Thrawn Trilogy. The species' name would later be revealed in Vision of the Future, a 1998 Legends novel also written by Zahn as the second and final entry in the The Hand of Thrawn Duology. The Chiss became canon when they appeared in Secret Alliances, the sixth campaign featured in Star Wars: Commander, a mobile game published by Disney Interactive that was released on August 21, 2014.
Though it was ultimately decided that he would be a human, a preliminary design of Agent Kallus, one of the antagonists of the canon animated television series Star Wars Rebels, depicted him as a member of the Chiss species. Eventually, the Chiss would appear in the series, in the form of Grand Admiral Thrawn.
- Star Wars Rebels (Set: 75170 The Phantom)
- Star Wars: Alien Archive
- (Picture only)
- (Picture only)
- (Picture only)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 Star Wars: Commander
- ↑ 2.00 2.01 2.02 2.03 2.04 2.05 2.06 2.07 2.08 2.09 2.10 2.11 Thrawn
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Star Wars: Alien Archive
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 4.5 4.6 4.7 4.8 Thrawn: Treason
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 Thrawn: Alliances
- ↑ Star Wars Rebels: Steps Into Shadow
- ↑ Cyphers and Masks
- ↑ Heir to the Empire
- ↑ Vision of the Future
- ↑ Limited Early Access Unveiled for 'Star Wars:Commander,' a New Combat Strategy Game for Mobile Devices on Disney Interactive's Tumblr