- "Chokeroot may be an old family standard on a number of worlds, but until recently, it was somethin' I wouldn't even consider servin' in my kitchen. To be fair, chokeroot ain't terribly unpleasant. But it ain't terribly flavorful either, and I prefer not to waste my time on ingredients that are anythin' less than exceptional."
- ―Strono Tuggs
Chokeroot was a type of root that could be consumed by humans, Artiodacs, and Togrutas. The root was an ingredient in the dish mashed chokeroot, which was a component of the entrée Fried Endorian Tip-Yip. Chokeroot could be found on the Outer Rim planets Batuu and Saleucami, and it was known to be a family standard on some worlds.
The Artiodac chef Strono Tuggs felt that chokeroot was unsuitable for his cooking until he discovered a recipe for mashed chokeroot on Saleucami that he considered stellar. The revelation prompted him to reevaluate his opinions about the root, and he began serving mashed chokeroot and Fried Endorian Tip-Yip in his traveling diner, Tuggs' Grub, while it was stationed on Batuu.
- "Is this single stellar recipe enough to change my opinion about an ingredient I once despised? I dunno. Ask me after I scarf down another bowl or two…"
- ―Strono Tuggs, about chokeroot
Chokeroot was a type of edible root that was consumable by humans, Artiodacs, and Togrutas. The root was relatively lacking in flavor on its own, despite being known as a family standard on some worlds. Chokeroot could take on a sweeter taste when combined with spices and falumpaset cheese in the recipe for mashed chokeroot, a dish that was a component of the entrée Fried Endorian Tip-Yip.
- "You should have seen how packed this place was when he first arrived. I might have snuck off work early just to get an order of fried Endorian tip-yip or seven."
- ―Julen Rakab, about Tuggs' Grub
Mashed chokeroot was served during a Taffral family dinner in the Taffral home on the Outer Rim planet Saleucami in 4 ABY, during the Galactic Civil War. Around 34 ABY, Fried Endorian Tip-Yip was served to Resistance spy Vi Moradi in the diner Tuggs' Grub while it was visiting the Outer Rim planet Batuu. Around the same year, the farmer Julen Rakab and his friends, the smuggler Izal Garsea and the musician Neelo, consumed dishes of Fried Endorian Tip-Yip while at the same establishment.
Until around the time that the chef Strono Tuggs stationed his traveling restaurant, Tuggs' Grub, in Docking Bay 7 Food and Cargo on Batuu, he considered chokeroot to be an ingredient lacking in taste and deemed it unsuitable for use in his cooking. However, the chef eventually visited Saleucami and discovered a creamy mashed chokeroot recipe that he considered stellar and thus reevaluated his opinion of the root. Tuggs included the recipes for mashed chokeroot and Fried Endorian Tip-Yip in his cookbook, The Official Black Spire Outpost Cookbook, which was authored sometime after the Battle of Takodana in 34 ABY.
Behind the scenesEdit
Chokeroot first appeared as an ingredient within the dish mashed chokeroot in Aftermath, a 2015 novel written by Chuck Wendig. Mashed chokeroot is a component of the entrée Fried Endorian Tip-Yip, both of which were first made available to guests in the restaurant Docking Bay 7 Food and Cargo at Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge, a themed attraction that opened at Disneyland Park on May 31, 2019.
The real-life recipe in Chelsea Monroe-Cassel and Marc Sumerak's 2019 cookbook, Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge: The Official Black Spire Outpost Cookbook, uses the root vegetable of parsnip as an ingredient in mashed chokeroot. The cookbook's recipe for Fried Endorian Tip-Yip also allows for mashed potatoes to be used as a substitute for mashed chokeroot.
- Aftermath (First appearance, simultaneous with Aftermath audiobook)
- Aftermath audiobook (First appearance, simultaneous with Aftermath)
- Galaxy's Edge: Black Spire (Mentioned only)
- Galaxy's Edge: Black Spire audiobook (Mentioned only)
- A Crash of Fate (Mentioned only)
- A Crash of Fate audiobook (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge – Docking Bay 7 Food and Cargo (First pictured)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 Aftermath
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6 2.7 2.8 Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge: The Official Black Spire Outpost Cookbook
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge – Docking Bay 7 Food and Cargo
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 A Crash of Fate notes that Fried Endorian Tip-Yip is edible by Togrutas, while Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge: The Official Black Spire Outpost Cookbook establishes that mashed chokeroot is an ingredient of that dish; therefore, Togrutas must be able to consume the ingredients of mashed chokeroot, including chokeroot itself.
- ↑ Ultimate Star Wars
- ↑ Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: The Visual Dictionary dates the reunion of Norra Wexley and Temmin Wexley on Akiva—which occurs during the rebellion on Akiva, according to Aftermath—to thirty years before the Hosnian Cataclysm, which Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates to 34 ABY. Aftermath also establishes that the Taffral family dinner happens concurrent to the rebellion on Akiva; therefore, both events must take place in 4 ABY.
- ↑ The earlier events of Galaxy's Edge: Black Spire happen concurrent to the events of Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens, which Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates to 34 ABY. Therefore, the overall events of Galaxy's Edge: Black Spire, including Vi Moradi's visit to Tuggs' Grub, must take place around that year.
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 Galaxy's Edge: Black Spire
- ↑ The events of A Crash of Fate, including Julen Rakab and Izal Garsea's visit to Tuggs' Grub, occur months after the Hosnian Cataclysm, which Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates to 34 ABY.
- ↑ A Crash of Fate
- ↑ Star Wars: Galactic Atlas