- "Without the Jedi, there can be no balance in the Force."
- ―Lor San Tekka
The Church of the Force was a religious institution composed of loosely-affiliated worshipers of the Force. Members of the faith, such as Lor San Tekka, believed that balance would continue to elude the Force until the Jedi Order was reestablished.
The Church of the Force began as an underground faith whose followers believed in the ideals of the Jedi Order. In simplest terms, the Church was basically a non-Force-sensitive equivalent of the Jedi Order. It existed during the time of the Galactic Empire, when such spiritual beliefs were strictly forbidden. Despite the threat of Imperial rule, and the destruction of the Jedi Order at the end of the Clone Wars, the Church of the Force believed that the light of the Jedi would one day return to the galaxy.
They eschewed modern technology and instead created their own in order to bring themselves more in touch with nature. A common practice among them was to perform pilgrimages to return items, such as kyber crystals, to where they belonged throughout the galaxy. One such pilgrimage was performed by Addar and his fellow members to Christophsis.
- "This will begin to make things right."
- ―Lor San Tekka
The Church of the Force existed as an underground movement during the Age of the Empire, when the Jedi Knights were hunted to near-extinction and worship of the supernatural was prohibited by Imperial law. One member of the faith was Lor San Tekka, an explorer who did not believe the Imperial description of the so-called Jedi betrayal of the Galactic Republic. He spent years searching and preserving the history of the Jedi that the Empire had tried to suppress, and eventually helped Luke Skywalker, the last Jedi, in his own search for Jedi lore. During the New Republic Era, the Church was much more free. After Skywalker vanished following the destruction of his new generation of Jedi, San Tekka held a fragment of a map that showed where Skywalker had gone into exile. Believing that the Jedi had to return in order for there to be balance in the Force, San Tekka gave the map fragment to Resistance pilot Poe Dameron before San Tekka was killed by Kylo Ren—Skywalker's nephew, and the man who was believed to have killed the new Jedi. However, San Tekka's death was not in vain, as Skywalker was located by a young Force-sensitive woman named Rey.
Behind the scenes
Through the appearance of Lor San Tekka and the Tuanul villagers, the Church of the Force first appeared in the 2015 film Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens. It was identified as the Church of the Force in the reference book Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary, which provided some history for San Tekka. Lucasfilm Ltd. employee and author of the Visual Dictionary Pablo Hidalgo revealed in an interview that the Church was originally conceived by George Lucas for Star Wars: Underworld, a canned live-action Star Wars TV series. The Church's story was put on hold before appearing in Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens, directed by J.J. Abrams.
- The High Republic: Out of the Shadows (Mentioned only)
- The High Republic: Out of the Shadows audiobook (Mentioned only)
- "Reflection Day"—Life Day Treasury (Mentioned only)
- Victory's Price (Mentioned only)
- Victory's Price audiobook (Mentioned only)
- Aftermath: Empire's End
- Aftermath: Empire's End audiobook
- Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens novelization
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens audiobook
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens: A Junior Novel
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens: A Junior Novel audiobook
- The Force Awakens Golden Book
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens Graphic Novel Adaptation
- The Force Awakens Adaptation 1
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary (First identified as Church of the Force)
- Rey's Survival Guide (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars Character Encyclopedia: Updated and Expanded
- Poe Dameron: Flight Log
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 18 (Highlights of the Saga: Assault on Jakku)
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know, Updated and Expanded
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 27 (Databank A-Z: InterGalactic Banking Clan–Jakku)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 43 (Helmets: Flametrooper; Weapons & Uniforms: Inhabitants of Jakku)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 46 (Highlights of the Saga: The Hunt for Luke Skywalker)
- Knights of Fate
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 54 (Databank A-Z: Tauntaun–TIE Craft)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 57 (Databank A-Z: Trident Assault Ship–Turbolasers)
- Star Wars Search and Find Volume I
- Star Wars: The Secrets of the Jedi
- Star Wars: Build Your Own X-Wing 26 (Starfighter Aces: Poe Dameron – Black Leader)
- "The Heroes of Rogue One" – Star Wars Encyclopedia
- Star Wars Bust Collection 4 (Star Wars Universe: Kylo Ren; Star Wars Universe: Searching for the Map to Skywalker)