- "Fear. A Jedi spends his whole life training against it. But at the Citadel, breaking Jedi is our specialty. Within these walls, they will learn to fear us. And if not, they die."
- ―Osi Sobeck
The Citadel, also known as Citadel Station, was a prison constructed on the planet Lola Sayu by the Jedi Order to hold rogue Jedi. Early in the Clone Wars, it was captured by the Confederacy of Independent Systems and Osi Sobeck became its warden.
- "The Citadel wasn't designed to hold common criminals, it was created to hold Jedi if any of us lost our way."
- ―Anakin Skywalker
Constructed in 522 BBY, the Citadel was originally designed by the Jedi Order to hold rogue/dark Jedi. During the Clone Wars, it fell under control of the Confederacy of Independent Systems, and it held Even Piell in the war. It was run by warden Osi Sobeck, and he was considered to be sadistic. The Jedi Archives were known to have information on the original layout of the facility, but this was considered extremely old and outdated by the time of the Clone Wars.
Under Separatist control, the Citadel became known as the Confederacy's most isolated holding facility that held their high value detainees. The prison was heavily guarded by a number of droids including BX-series droid commandos, and it had hundreds of electromines. The clone trooper training facilities in Tipoca City on Kamino used a Citadel Challenge training course simulating an attack on the Citadel as part of their programs. During their trials, Domino Squad succeeded in completing the course.
At one point, Jedi General Even Piell and his officers were captured. Piel was incarcerated and tortured for information regarding the Nexus Route in the Citadel, prompting an elite rescue team led by Jedi Generals Obi-Wan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker to free him. After climbing a steep cliff-face dotted with electromines, the task force successfully infiltrated the prison and rescued Piell and Captain Wilhuff Tarkin with the help of R2-D2 and a group of reprogrammed Separatist battle droids. Republic ARC trooper CT-1409 was presumed dead when a BX-series droid commando blew up the Republic's shuttle on the platform outside the facility. During the Jedi's escape with their clone troopers across Lola Sayu's unstable terrain, a group of anoobas and droids led by Osi Sobeck attacked them. General Piell was fatally injured by one of the anoobas, but Piell managed to whisper his Nexus Route information to Jedi Padawan Ahsoka Tano before succumbing to his injuries. Sobeck was later killed by Ahsoka Tano while attempting to throw Tarkin into a lava gorge. However, after the mission Tano wished to give the information to the Jedi High Council as Piell had told her to, but Tarkin seeked to reveal it to Sheev Palpatine, the Republic's Supreme Chancellor.
A Separatist holdoutEdit
After the Clone Wars, a droid lead a Separatist holdout at the Citadel. However, the droid leading the garrison of battle droids was malfunctioning, and it was following it last directive from the war. It had adjusted its programming for a wider target range. The droid targeted all Force-sensitives, and it came to have a Force-sensitive child in the prison.
- Dooku: Jedi Lost (Mentioned only) (Appears in flashback(s))
- Dooku: Jedi Lost script (Mentioned only) (Appears in flashback(s))
- Star Wars Battlefront II (Mentioned only) (DLC)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Clone Cadets" (First mentioned) (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Citadel" (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Counterattack"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Citadel Rescue"
- Catalyst: A Rogue One Novel (Mentioned only)
- Catalyst: A Rogue One Novel audiobook (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Wrong Jedi" (Mentioned only, in deleted scene(s))
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Bad Batch" (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "A Distant Echo" (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "On the Wings of Keeradaks" (Mentioned only)
- Tarkin (Mentioned only)
- Tarkin audiobook (Mentioned only)