The citizens' fleet, also known as the citizens' navy, was an expansive fleet that was comprised of 14,000 volunteer civilian ships from throughout the Core Worlds and the galaxy. It was assembled by General Lando Calrissian to aid the Resistance in the Battle of Exegol, where they faced the might of the Final Order and the Sith Eternal, led by the reborn Darth Sidious, as the First Order tried to collect the massive armada.
- "But there are more of us, Poe. There are more of us."
- ―Lando Calrissian, to Poe Dameron
At first, many worlds were hesitant to aid the Resistance at the onset of its war against the First Order due to the recent collapse of the New Republic and the advance of the First Order's conquest of the galaxy. The collapse of the New Republic had seen the destruction of its home fleet, and, although some task forces survived, they were dissolved by senators to protect their homeworlds.
Following the announcement of Darth Sidious's survival and the destruction of Kijimi, Rebel Alliance veterans Lando Calrissian and Chewbacca were dispatched to the Core Systems on the Millennium Falcon at the request of Resistance Generals Poe Dameron and Finn to send out a call for help to anyone throughout the galaxy who would be willing to aid the Resistance in their upcoming battle.
After hastily amassing a combined force of 14,000 civilian and military starships of differing classes and size manned by ordinary galactic citizens and Resistance friends, the citizens' fleet arrived at Exegol, where the remains of the Resistance were engaged in a battle against the Sith Eternal's massive armada, the Final Order, to reinforce the Resistance in their effort to prevent the large Sith armada from deploying off of Exegol and attacking the remaining free worlds. There, they helped turn the tide of the battle and achieve victory, and, as a result, a galactic uprising against the First Order by the inhabitants of the galaxy began.
- "Look at this! Look at this."
- ―Poe Dameron, upon seeing the fleet
The citizens' fleet was composed of a plethora of starships of various classes that ultimately culminated in over 14,000 starships.
The gargantuan civilian fleet contained a large number of capital ships. For capital ships, the fleet consisted of at least five MC85 Star Cruisers with different sub-variants of that class, several Unidentified Mon Calamari Star Cruisers, as well as multiple MC95 Star Cruisers along with its respective sub-variants. These variants included, the MC95A Star Cruisers, MC95C Star Cruisers, MC95D Star Cruisers, and MC95E Star Cruisers. No less than twenty-five MC75 Star Cruisers were also part of the fleet, and were joined by its own sub-variants including, MC75B Star Cruisers, MC75C Star Cruisers, and other similar models. Aside from Mon Calamari vessels, scores of Hynestian Star Cruisers were also present at the Battle of Exegol as part of the fleet.
Consequently, the fleet was reinforced by a countless number of frigates, which included at least seven EF76 Nebulon-B escort frigates, at least fifteen Nebulon-C escort frigates, at least twelve Pelta-class frigates, and at least fourteen Vakbeor-class cargo frigates.
Ships of smaller classifications were also among the forces of the large fleet, including CR90 corvettes, Lothalian Corvettes, Braha'tok-class gunships, Sphyrna-class corvettes, and at least twenty-four Free Virgillia-class Bunkerbusters.
Shuttles, gunships, transports and light craftEdit
Warships were not the only type of vessel in the fleet, however. The fleet boasted freighters, transports, shuttles, and gunships. Specific freighter classes included starships such as YV-865 Aurore-class freighters, at least twenty-five Baleen-class heavy freighters, Darius G-class freighters, at least one Drovan freighter, Mining Guild Freighters, at least one Ralltiiri light freighter, at least two Sullustan Cargo Freighters, at least one 720 light freighter, TUG-b13s, at least one Coruscant Freighter, at least one ZH-40 Tribune-class light freighter, at least three VCX-100 light freighters which included the Ghost, and various YT-series freighters that included YT-2400 light freighters, YT-2400BT freighters, and the YT-1300 light freighter Millennium Falcon.
Transports included multiple GR-75 medium transports, Gozanti Armed Transports, GX1 short haulers. T-6 shuttles served in the fleet, alongside at least one H-type Nubian yacht. Light attack craft included at least one Razor Assault Ship at least one Firespray-31-class patrol and attack craft, at least one Pursuer-class enforcer, Guavian Ships, Auzituck anti-slaver gunships, and MG-100 StarFortress SF-17 bombers.
Bombers and starfightersEdit
Light craft such as bombers, starfighters, gunships, and shuttles were also part of the volunteer armada. Such craft included Durosian fighters, T-70 X-wing starfighters, BTA-NR2 Y-wing starfighters, and racers which included the Fireball, Blue Ace, and Jarek Yeager's racer. Lancer-class pursuit craft including the Nebular Kelpie were also involved, as were Z-95 Headhunters, Fang-class starfighters, Kom'rk-class fighters, N-1 starfighters, Star Tours Speeders, rebel speeders, UT-60D U-wing starfighter/support craft, Victor-wing Fighters, at least one Cronian battlebird, and many other vessels.
Behind the scenesEdit
- "Well, one thing we do know is that among the 14,000 ships that arrive with Lando Calrissian over Exegol in Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker are the Fireball, Jarek Yeager's racer, and Torra Doza's ship."
- ―Pablo Hidalgo
The citizens' fleet first appeared in the 2019 film Star Wars: Episode IX The Rise of Skywalker, the third and final installment of the Star Wars sequel trilogy. Lucasfilm Story Group member Pablo Hidalgo stated in a Star Wars Resistance Bucket's List article on StarWars.com that the fleet was made up of 14,000 starships. In an Industrial Light & Magic video showcasing the visual effects of the film, it was stated that the shot when the fleet appeared at Exegol was made up of over 16,000 ships. This article assumes that the statement from Hidalgo is the canon number for the amount of ships in the fleet.
- Star Wars: Episode IX The Rise of Skywalker (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: Expanded Edition
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: Expanded Edition audiobook
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: A Junior Novel
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: A Junior Novel audiobook
- "Battle Beyond the Stars"—Star Wars Insider 194 (Picture only)
- (First identified as citizens' fleet, simultaneous with )
- (First identified as citizens' fleet, simultaneous with )
- (First identified as citizens' navy)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 1.13 1.14 1.15 1.16 1.17 Star Wars: Episode IX The Rise of Skywalker
- ↑ Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: The Visual Dictionary dates the events of Star Wars: Episode IX The Rise of Skywalker to one year after the events of Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens. As Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates the events of The Force Awakens to 34 ABY, the events of The Rise of Skywalker, which includes the appearance of the galaxy fleet, must occur in 35 ABY.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 3.6 Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: Expanded Edition
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens
- ↑ Star Wars: The Last Jedi: The Visual Dictionary
- ↑ Star Wars: The Last Jedi: Expanded Edition
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 8.3 8.4
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: A Junior Novel
- ↑ Breznican, Anthony (2020-02-04). Watch the Mesmerizing VFX Reel for The Rise of Skywalker — EXCLUSIVE. Vanity Fair. Archived from the original on February 21, 2020. Retrieved on February 4, 2020.
- ↑ Industrial Light & Magic video File:ILM_TROS_fleet.png