- "For generations, my ancestors fought proudly as warriors against the Jedi."
- ―Pre Vizsla
Clan Vizsla was a Mandalorian clan that was active during the time of the Old Republic, the Galactic Republic, and the Galactic Empire. The Mandalorian Jedi Tarre Vizsla served as the Mand'alor of the Mandalorians sometime prior to the fall of the Old Republic. During the Clone Wars, Pre Vizsla was the leader of Death Watch, a Mandalorian splinter faction that opposed the planet's pacifist government. He succeeded in taking over Mandalore and became Mand'alor and Prime Minister, but was killed shortly thereafter by Darth Maul.
During the Mandalorian civil war against the Galactic Empire and Clan Saxon, Clan Vizsla rallied behind Bo-Katan Kryze of Clan Kryze, along with Clan Eldar, Clan Rook, Clan Wren, the Journeyman Protectors, and others, making Bo-Katan the new Mand'alor.
- "Your mark?"
"The sign of Clan Vizsla."
- ―Darth Maul, and Pre Vizsla on the stylized jai'galaar emblem
The ancient emblem of the clan was a stylized shriek-hawk, or jai'galaar in Mando'a. Eventually, the Vizsla shriek-hawk was adopted by the entire Death Watch faction. By the time of the early rebellion against the Galactic Empire, Vizsla warriors adorned their armor with a different emblem, representing a flowered branch.
During the Old RepublicEdit
- "I didn't know Mandalorians developed a type of lightsaber."
"We didn't. This was one of a kind. Legend tells that it was created over a thousand years ago by Tarre Vizsla, the first Mandalorian ever inducted into the Jedi Order. After his passing, the Jedi kept the saber in their temple. That was until members of House Vizsla snuck in and liberated it. They used the saber to unify the people and strike down those who would oppose them. One time, they ruled all of Mandalore wielding this blade."
- ―Kanan Jarrus and Fenn Rau, on the darksaber
Clan Vizsla was formed prior to the foundation of the Galactic Republic. During this time, Tarre Vizsla was inducted into the Jedi Order as the first Mandalorian to do so. As a Jedi, Tarre created the Darksaber, a unique black-colored lightsaber that became the symbol of leadership for House Vizsla. Eventually, Tarre became Mand'alor and led his fellow Mandalorians. After Tarre's death, the saber was kept in the Jedi Temple until it was stolen members of House Vizsla who snuck in and liberated it during the fall of the Old Republic. The members of House Vizsla used the Darksaber to unify the people and defeat those who opposed them, allowing them to rule all of Mandalore at one moment. During that time, the Darksaber was used to kill many Jedi.
During the Galactic RepublicEdit
Early coup attemptEdit
- "This lightsaber was stolen from your Jedi Temple by my ancestors during the fall of the Old Republic. Since then, many Jedi have died upon its blade. Prepare yourself to join them."
- ―Pre Vizsla, to Obi-Wan Kenobi
Many years later following the end of the Mandalorian Civil War, the Mandalorian warriors were exiled to the moon of Concordia, where most of them were believed to have died out. The survivors, however, regrouped and secretly rallied behind Concordia's governor, Pre Vizsla and became known as the Death Watch. The Death Watch opposed the pacifist New Mandalorian government and its leader, Duchess Satine Kryze during the Clone Wars. The Death Watch believed that Duchess Satine presented a weak-minded rule and degraded Mandalorian traditions and their reputation as fierce warriors.
Early during the Clone Wars, Pre Vizsla and the Death Watch allied themselves with the Sith Lord Count Dooku, leader of the Confederacy of Independent Systems that fought against the Galactic Republic. After a bombing of the memorial shrine in Sundari, Mandalore's capital, and subsequent skirmish on Concordia, Pre Vizsla and his organization were exposed and forced to retreat. After an failed attempt to capture Duchess Satine on the Coronet by Mandalorian Prince and Senator Tal Merrik on behalf of Death Watch, Duchess Satine was able to present her case to the Galactic Senate to maintain her planet's neutrality in the Clone Wars.
Working with the Confederacy, Death Watch and Pre Vizsla attempted to orchestrate a Republic occupation of Mandalore, so that Pre Vizsla and Death Watch could move in to liberate the people, and thus usurp Duchess Satine from power. The coup ultimately fell apart, when Duchess Satine managed to persuade the Senate on Mandalore's position.
Exiled and in retreatEdit
Following the failed coup, Pre Vizsla and with Dooku had a confrontation which resulted in Death Watch and the Confederacy severing ties. Eventually, Death Watch was located on Carlac, where they subjugated the local Ming Po population and entered in league with Lux Bonteri in an attempt to assassinate Dooku. Unknowingly, Jedi Padawan Ahsoka Tano, who was with Bonteri, was revealed as a Jedi and following a skirmish on Carlac, Tano and Bonteri escaped Death Watch and Pre Vizsla.
Rise to powerEdit
In 19 BBY, Pre Vizsla and Death Watch came across an escape pod containing Sith Lord Darth Maul and his brother and Sith apprentice, Savage Opress. Curious about their situation, Pre decided to rescue them and bring them to Zanbar. After the two recovered, they agreed to an alliance to bring down Duchess Satine and seek revenge against Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi. Pre Vizsla and his Death Watch forces, alongside Darth Maul and Opress traveld to Mustafar and recruited the Black Sun after killing their ruling council. The Pyke Syndicate also joined them after hearing of their move to build an army. Eventually, after a mission to Nal Hutta and attack on Jabba's Palace, the Hutt Cartel joined Pre Vizsla and the others, forming the Shadow Collective.
Now with an army and the resources required to sustain a war without the scrutiny of the Galactic Republic, Maul revealed to Pre Vizsla that after Mandalore was under Vizsla's control, Maul would then operate a new criminal underworld. Frustrated, Pre Vizsla suggested that Mandalore was the leader of the Council of Neutral Systems, which contained 1,500 worlds, and thus allowed for more opportunities. Satisfied, Maul then ordered Vizsla to send scouts to Mandalore in order to identify targets vital to Mandalore's security. Bo-Katan Kryze, top lieutenant to Pre Vizsla, expressed her concerns that Maul and Opress could not be trusted, but Vizsla assured her that Maul and Savage would be dead alongside Duchess Satine.
- "I am Pre Vizsla of Clan Vizsla. Death Watch is here to save you from these intergalactic gangsters that threaten our great city. This is a war, and we will win. Join me, and let us defend Mandalore against the criminals. We need action, not pacifism!"
- ―Pre Vizsla, to his fellow Mandalorians
Vizsla's advanced guard acquired their targets, which allowed Maul and the Shadow Collective to devise their strategy. The crime syndicates attacked key targets, and according to strategy, memebers of Death Watch arrested them, winning the hearts of the people. Duchess Satine was subsequently captured and removed from power by Pre Vizsla and his forces, and he declared himself Prime Minister and Mand'alor.
Vizsla then betrayed Darth Maul and Opress and imprisoned them, although they were able to liberate themselves and bring former Prime Minister Almec under their fold. Maul then challenged Vizsla for his place as leader of Mandalore and Death Watch, ultimately triumphing over Vizsla and beheading him. Bo-Katan and other Death Watch members refused to accept Darth Maul and created the Mandalore resistance, igniting another Mandalorian civil war.
During the Galactic EmpireEdit
- "Clan Vizsla is with you."
- ―A member of Clan Vizsla declares for Bo-Katan Kryze
Lady Regent Bo-Katan Kryze was removed from power by the Empire during its occupation of Mandalore and nearly two decades after the end of the Clone Wars, another civil war ignited when Imperial Viceroy Gar Saxon of Clan Saxon was killed during a skirmish on Krownest against Clan Wren. After a mission to Mandalore by members of Clan Wren and Clan Kryze, Governor Tiber Saxon was killed and Bo-Katan became the new Mand'alor, gaining the support of Clan Vizsla, Clan Rook, Clan Eldar, the Journeyman Protectors, Clan Wren, and others.
Behind the scenesEdit
- "He is Clan Vizsla, like you."
- ―Fenn Rau to Sabine Wren, on Gar Saxon
In the fifth episode of the animated television series Star Wars Rebels' third season, "Imperial Super Commandos", Fenn Rau mistakenly referred Sabine Wren and Gar Saxon as Clan Vizsla. The same mistake was repeated in the Gar Saxon's Databank entry on the official Star Wars website. On November 7, 2016, Lucasfilm Story Group's Pablo Hidalgo stated that Fenn Rau should have said "House Vizsla."
- Star Wars: Galactic Defense
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Mandalore Plot" (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Voyage of Temptation" (Appears in hologram)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Duchess of Mandalore"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "A Friend in Need"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Eminence" (First identified as Clan Vizsla)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Shades of Reason"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Lawless" (Appears in flashback(s))
- Star Wars Rebels – "Trials of the Darksaber" (Appears in flashback(s))
- Star Wars: Forces of Destiny – "Art History" (Statue only)
- Star Wars Rebels: Heroes of Mandalore
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Star Wars: Forces of Destiny – "Art History"
- ↑ Ultimate Star Wars
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 4.5 4.6 4.7 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Mandalore Plot"
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "A Friend in Need"
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 7.3 7.4 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Eminence"
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 Since Tarre Vizsla was a member of Clan Vizsla and he died during the time of the Old Republic, then the clan must have been formed sometime prior to the creation of the Galactic Republic.
- ↑ Star Wars Rebels – "The Protector of Concord Dawn"
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 10.2 10.3 Star Wars Rebels – "Trials of the Darksaber"
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 11.2 Star Wars Rebels: Heroes of Mandalore
- ↑ Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- ↑ Star Wars Rebels: Complete Season Three, "Trials of the Darksaber" DVD commentary
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Voyage of Temptation"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Duchess of Mandalore"
- ↑ Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- ↑ 17.0 17.1 17.2 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Shades of Reason"
- ↑ Ahsoka
- ↑ Star Wars Rebels : Imperial Supercommandos (October 12, 2016).
- ↑ Star Wars Rebels – "Imperial Super Commandos"