- "This is a Class-A thermal detonator, you know what that means?"
- ―Luke Skywalker
The Merr-Sonn Munitions, Inc. Class-A thermal detonator was a grenade widely used by armed forces, illegal militias, and rebel groups across the galaxy, though highly illegal for anyone other than military personnel to possess. A Class-A thermal detonator had blast radius of twenty meters, making it the most powerful commercially manufactured detonator in the galaxy—however, some custom-made thermal detonators were even more powerful. The weapons cost 2,000 credits.
A single Class-A thermal detonator was sufficient to cause the collapse of Xizor's Palace, a huge 102-story building on Coruscant, when Lando Calrissian dropped it down the palace's garbage chute into its basement level. Another Class-A detonator was used by Leia Organa, in her guise as the bounty hunter Boushh, to threaten Jabba the Hutt in her attempt to rescue Han Solo. During the Galactic Civil War, Rebel soldiers tuned down the grenade's blast radius for battlefield purposes while maintaining its effectiveness. Years later, the mercenary-turned Jedi Kyle Katarn used thermal detonators in his missions for the New Republic. During the Yuuzhan Vong War, the Jedi Myrkr strike team used Class-A detonators in their seek-and-destroy mission.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Sources[edit | edit source]
- The Essential Guide to Weapons and Technology
- Star Wars Customizable Card Game – Jabba's Palace Limited (Card: Thermal Detonator)
- Star Wars Missions (Game card)
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 4 (THE2, Thermal Detonators)
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 13 (BOU5–6, Bounty Hunters – Boushh)
- Star Wars Battlefront official website
- Star Wars Battlefront: Prima Official Game Guide
- Star Wars Battlefront II: Prima Official Game Guide
- Star Wars Blueprints: The Ultimate Collection
- Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook