- "Cliegg Lars. Shmi is my wife."
- ―Cliegg introduces himself to his stepson, Anakin Skywalker
Cliegg Lars was a Human male who was the widower of Shmi Skywalker, the step-grandfather of Luke Skywalker and Leia Organa, the stepfather of Anakin Skywalker, and the father of Owen Lars. He was the son of Gredda and Lef Lars, and was the elder brother of Edern Lars.
- "Thirty of us went out after her. Four of us came back. I'd be with them, but… after I lost my leg I just couldn't ride anymore, until I heal. I don't want to give up on her, but she's been gone a month. There's little hope she's lasted this long."
- ―Cliegg Lars tells Anakin Skywalker about his mother
Cliegg's father was a kind Human male moisture farmer on Tatooine, but the young Cliegg rebelled against the elder Lars and left Tatooine for the Core World of Ator. He married a young woman named Aika, and they had a son, Owen.
Aika died during Owen's youth, and a devastated Cliegg returned to Tatooine with his son, made amends with his father, and took over the family farm. He purchased the slave Shmi Skywalker from Watto and subsequently freed and married her. Shmi often told her new family how much she missed her son, Anakin, who had been freed by a Jedi to join the Jedi Order five years before.
Years later, he was visited on Tatooine by Anakin and Padmé Amidala, and told them that Shmi had been abducted by Tusken Raiders. Cliegg and 29 other settlers attempted to rescue her, but 26 of the settlers were killed and Cliegg lost his right leg from the midthigh down, due to a trap laid by the Tusken Raiders. This forced him to use a power chair in order to move around.
Cliegg died shortly thereafter from his injury and a broken heart, leaving Owen and Beru to watch over the Lars homestead. He was 62 years old when he died.
Behind the scenes
Some sources use an alternate spelling of "Cliegg", one of which is "Cleag".
- Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones novelization (First appearance)
- Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones unabridged audiobook
- Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones comic
- Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones
- Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds: Clone Campaigns (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith novelization (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith unabridged audiobook (Mentioned only)
- Lone Wolf: A Tale of Obi-Wan and Luke (Mentioned only)
- Kenobi (Mentioned only)
- Kenobi audiobook (Mentioned only)
- The Last One Standing (Mentioned only)
- Empire 1 (In flashback(s))
- Empire 8 (Indirect mention only)
- The Rise and Fall of Darth Vader
- A New Hope: The Life of Luke Skywalker (Indirect mention only)
- Tatooine Ghost (Mentioned only)