- "A ship! It came out of nowhere! It was cloaked!"
- ―Pirates on the Scimitar
A cloaking device was a type of technology that could render a starship invisible.
- "And you're certain the ship's cloaking device is active? I don't want to be hurtling out of hyperspace unprotected into the path of a dozen Separatist cruisers...."
- ―Anakin Skywalker to Asajj Ventress, on the Banshee
A cloaking device rendered an object completely invisible to nearly all forms of detection, although the object could be tracked via it's magnetic signature. A form of experimental starship technology, cloaking devices allowed ships to bypass enemy vessels and fleets undetected, rendering them essentially invisible to ordinary scanners. However, an interdiction field rendered stealth technology inoperable, and vulnerable to detection. Cloaking devices could be powered by either hibridium or stygium crystals.
Darth Maul's Scimitar had a cloaking device, which he used to launch a sneak attack on pirates assaulting Trade Federation forces over Kellux. Taken by surprise, the pirates were destroyed by proton torpedoes and mines deployed by the Scimitar.
The Clone WarsEdit
- "Jam their communications and cloak this ship from view... they won't know we've arrived until it's much too late."
- ―Darth Sidious to General Grievous, on the Scimitar
During the Clone Wars, Republic engineers utilized experimental starship technology to create the stealth ship, a heavily-armed vessel fitted with a cloaking device. Jedi General Anakin Skywalker used the craft to deliver supplies to Senator Bail Organa's camp on Christophsis. However, Skywalker also used it to attack Trench's command ship, the Invincible. Despite the failure of his first attack, Skywalker used Trench's tracking torpedoes against him, leading the missiles back to the Invincible, destroying it, severely injuring Trench, and briefly breaking the blockade.
Later in the war, the bounty hunter Cad Bane was then given a Rogue-class starfighter with a cloaking device, as payment from his Sith Lord client, Darth Sidious. Sidious himself utilized the cloaking device aboard the Scimitar, Darth Maul's former vessel, to reach Dathomir undetected. There, he and General Grievous engaged Maul and his Shadow Collective in battle, and had a final confrontation with Mother Talzin. Asajj Ventress used the cloaking device aboard the Lancer-class pursuit craft Banshee to deliver Anakin Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi aboard a Providence-class dreadnought to rescue Quinlan Vos.
Age of the EmpireEdit
- "They can't have disappeared. No ship that small has a cloaking device."
- ―Lorth Needa, regarding the vanishing of the Millennium Falcon
Grand Moff Wilhuff Tarkin's personal corvette, the Carrion Spike, had a cloaking device based on the stealth ship used at Christophsis, and was powered by stygium crystals. During the Galactic Civil War, it was very rare for small ships such as the Millennium Falcon to have cloaking devices. Cloaking devices were used by shadow troopers during battles against the Rebel Alliance.
- Star Wars Rebels: The Visual Guide
- Star Wars Rebels: A New Hero
- Star Wars: Ships of the Galaxy
- The Last Jedi: Bomber Command
- Star Wars Encyclopedia of Starfighters and Other Vehicles