- "War does not come with a guarantee. No soldier gets the promise of safety, survival or victory. But men, I guarantee you this: every member of this clone youth brigade will have his moment."
Clone cadet was a rank in the Grand Army of the Republic. It was assigned to clone troopers who were still training to become soldiers of the Galactic Republic. Bred on the extragalactic planet Kamino, cadets were trained in Tipoca City and other cloning facilities spread across the Kaminoan homeworld.
History[edit | edit source]
Education on Kamino[edit | edit source]
- "We take great pride in our combat education and training programs. This group was created about five years ago."
- ―Lama Su
Utilizing the genetic code of Jango Fett, the Kaminoans engineered an army of human clones for the Galactic Republic. In addition to greater docility, the clone template was modified to allow for growth acceleration, which was an essential aspect in the clone army's design as it ensured the units would reach adulthood in only a decade's time. Jedi Knight Obi-Wan Kenobi was given an inspection tour of Tipoca City, where he observed clone cadets in various stages of development. One group in particular had been created approximately five years prior to Kenobi's arrival.
Young clone cadets were given an intense, rapid education within the cloning facilities of the extragalactic planet Kamino. This form of training required the use of focus-enhancing helmets. They were also divided into separate teams as a means of encouraging teamwork and competitiveness among their ranks. At this stage in their training, cadets were supervised by Kaminoan scientists and fully-grown clone troopers who held the military rank of Clone Sergeant. By the time of the Clone Wars, the older cadets were overseen by hired mercenaries and Advanced Recon Commandos, who were on the lookout for clones who showed exceptional skill and potential for joining the ARC troopers' ranks. Jedi Master Shaak Ti, a member of the Jedi High Council, oversaw the clone trooper training program as the Jedi Order's liaison to the Kaminoan government led by Prime Minister Lama Su.
Prior to the Jedi's involvement, cadets were threatened with disposal by their engineers if they failed to pass their training. Clones who displayed signs of divergent behavior were placed in retraining pods for isolation. These practices were ended by the Jedi Generals who controlled the Grand Army of the Republic, and failed clones were reassigned to non-combat roles such as maintenance duty.
Clone Wars[edit | edit source]
- "Look around! We're one and the same; same heart, same blood. Your training is in your blood. And my blood's boiling for a fight!"
- ―Fives, to a group of young cadets
During the Clone Wars, Shaak Ti observed the difficulty that Domino Squad encountered in their efforts to complete the final test in their training. One of their trainers, the bounty hunter Bric, recommended failing the squad and reassigning them as maintenance workers. The Togruta Jedi Master considered his opinion, but ultimately gave the Domino cadets a second chance. After succeeding in their trial, CT-00-2010, CT-1409, CT-4040, CT-5555, and CT-782 graduated and became full-fledged clone troopers.
As the conflict progressed, the Clone Youth Brigade—a brigade of young clone cadets—was allowed to leave Kamino under the supervision of Sergeant "Crasher." They were sent to the Endurance, a Venator-class Star Destroyer in the Republic Navy to observe the duties of battle-ready clone troopers as part of their training. Unbeknownst to the cadets, their ranks were infiltrated by Boba Fett, an unmodified clone who sought to assassinate Jedi General Mace Windu.
Equipment[edit | edit source]
Clone cadets had a different set of armor than clone troopers. This included color-coded pauldrons and gauntlets. Their visors were also see through, instead of black-tinted.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars Battlefront II (Indirect mention only) (DLC)
- Age of Republic - Jango Fett 1 (In flashback(s))
- Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones (First appearance)
- Star Wars Adventures: The Clone Wars – Battle Tales 4 (In flashback(s))
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Clone Cadets"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Death Trap"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "R2 Come Home" (In flashback(s))
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "ARC Troopers"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Conspiracy" (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Fugitive"
- Star Wars: The Bad Batch – "Aftermath"
Sources[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 8 (Databank A-Z: Bric–C-3PO)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 14 (Databank A-Z: Dengar–Domino Squad)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 33 (Databank A-Z: Admiral Kilian–Kowakian)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 76 (Helmets: Commander Ponds; Weapons & Uniforms: Aurra Sing; Highlights of the Saga: The End of Endurance)
- Rise of the Separatists
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars: Character Encyclopedia - Join the Battle!