Clone commandos, also known as Republic commandos, were elite clone troopers that served in the Grand Army of the Republic during the Clone Wars. A result of the Kaminoans' genetic experimentation with the Jango Fett template, they were special forces soldiers noted for their training and elite status in the clone army. In 22 BBY, Clone Commander CT-411 "Ponds" gave command over five commando units to Jedi Master Mace Windu, who directed them to engage in a frontal assault against the Separatist Droid Army during the First Battle of Geonosis.
As the conflict between the Galactic Republic and Confederacy of Independent Systems swept across the galaxy, the commandos were organized into squads that supported the Republic war effort as an elite group within the Grand Army. One such team was Delta Squad; following the battle on Devaron, they reported directly to the High Council of the Jedi Order, informing them that no survivors were found at the massacre site. Foxtrot Group consisted of commandos led by Clone Captain CC-5576-39 "Gregor." They served with the 212th Attack Battalion until the Battle of Sarrish, where they were declared "missing in action."
In the latter days of the war, Clone Force 99 "Bad Batch" participated in the Battle of Anaxes, fighting alongside Jedi General Anakin Skywalker and the 501st Legion. Unlike the other clones, who were genetically identical with each other as well as their template, the Bad Batch commandos possessed various characteristics that set them apart from the rest of the clone army and even each other.
- "I have five special commando units awaiting your orders, sir."
- ―Clone Commander "Ponds" to Jedi General Mace Windu
Five commando units served under Clone Commander CT-411 "Ponds" during the First Battle of Geonosis where the newly-formed Grand Army of the Republic—the army of clones created by the Kaminoans—engaged the Separatist Droid Army for the first time in the Clone Wars. During the battle, CT-411 and his commandos served under the leadership of Jedi Master Mace Windu, a leading member of the High Council of the Jedi Order.
CC-5576-39 "Gregor", the Clone Captain of Foxtrot Group, participated in the Battle of Sarrish. With the Republic routed by the Separatist battle droids and casualties mounting, Gregor took a shuttle to look for help, but crashed on the remote desert world Abafar. He survived and was pulled from the wreckage by Borkus, a Sullustan male who owned Power Sliders, a diner in the small mining settlement of Pons Ora. Gregor's file in the Republic Military database listed him as missing in action. He was discovered by Colonel Meebur Gascon and D-Squad, and after regaining his memories, Gregor then decided to assist Gascon and his squad in destroying a rhydonium mining installation being operated by the Separatist. However, he volunteered to be left behind to buy D-Squad time to escape.
While putting down an insurrection on Yalbec Prime, Clone Force 99, also known as "The Bad Batch", was summoned by Commander Cody during the Battle of Anaxes to assist him and Clone Captain Rex in ascertaining the secret behind Admiral Trench's strategies. However, matters escalated when Wrecker, the team's bruiser, cut off the Yalbec queen's stinger with a blade, causing multiple Yalbec males to attempt to mate with the clones. However, the team was able to escape to Anaxes aboard their gunship, the Havoc Marauder.
Prior to the Battle of Kashyyyk, the Wookiee Chieftain Tarfful was captured by Trandoshan slavers. These Trandoshans had made a deal with Count Dooku, but a group of clone commandos rescued Tarfful from the slavers.
Clone commandos were equipped with Katarn-class armor, which came with a backpack where members kept grenades and sabotage gear. They were allowed to choose the colors on their armor. In combat, commandos utilized the DC-17m Interchangeable Weapon System and the DC-17 hand blaster. They had a small vibroblade in their right hand armor piece. Commandos could also use a grenade launcher.
Known members and unitsEdit
Clone Force 99Edit
Delta Squad was a Republic commando squad that was dispatched to Devaron by the Jedi Council and recovered the bodies of Jedi Master Halsey and his Padawan Knox that had been killed there. The squad was led by "Boss," while "Fixer," "Scorch," and "Sev" made up the rest of the team.
- "You were a captain and part of an elite squad; a clone commando. The file says you were reported missing in action during the Battle of Sarrish."
- ―Colonel Meebur Gascon
Behind the scenesEdit
Clone commandos were first mentioned in Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones indirectly during the Battle of Geonosis. The concept of clone commandos was introduced within the Star Wars Expanded Universe novel The Cestus Deception and the characters were later heavily featured in the game Star Wars: Republic Commando. Clone commandos were introduced into Star Wars canon through the Star Wars: The Clone Wars episode "Witches of the Mist."
- Star Wars: Galactic Defense
- Star Wars: Force Arena
- Star Wars Battlefront II (DLC)
- Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones (First mentioned) (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Witches of the Mist" (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Missing in Action" (First identified as clone commando)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Bad Batch"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "A Distant Echo"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "On the Wings of Keeradaks"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Unfinished Business"
- Battlefront: Twilight Company (Mentioned only)
- Battlefront: Twilight Company audiobook (Mentioned only)
- (First identified as Republic commando)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars The Complete Season Three
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 13 (Databank A-Z: Poe Dameron–Delta 7-B) (Picture only)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 19 (Databank A-Z: GA-97–Geonosis)
- Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary, New Edition
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 76 (Helmets: Commander Ponds)
- (Picture only)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Bad Batch"
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Witches of the Mist"
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Missing in Action"
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary, New Edition
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Star Wars Character Encyclopedia, New Edition
- ↑ Battlefront: Twilight Company
- ↑ Star Wars: Battlefront II
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 9.2 9.3 9.4 9.5
- ↑ 10.0 10.1
- ↑ 12.0 12.1
- ↑ 13.0 13.1
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Unfinished Business"