- "Do you know what that really is?"
"Yeah. About sixty million credits worth of refined coaxium."
"No. It's the blood that brings life to something new."
- ―Enfys Nest and Han Solo
As a very explosive substance, coaxium had to be refined in order to be stored at room temperature. Unrefined coaxium would turn red and explode when not stored in a temperature controlled environment. One such coaxium refinery existed on the desert planet of Savareen.
The hyperdrive reaction chamber of a starship was coated in coaxium, which, when energized, allowed the ship to travel through hyperspace. A small amount of the coveted substance was enough to power an entire fleet of ships. Being extremely valuable, it was sought after by many. The Galactic Empire transported large shipments of coaxium under high security measurements, because they wanted to control as many resources as possible.
By the age of the Galactic Empire, coaxium was a highly valuable substance sought after by the Empire as well as various criminal organizations; the White Worms, the Pyke Syndicate, and the Crimson Dawn among them.
Thirteen years prior to the Battle of Yavin, a young Han Solo acquired a small amount of coaxium, and he and his childhood friend Qi'ra attempted to use it to barter their way off of Corellia. He partially failed, only managing to secure his own escape, while Qi'ra was detained at the spaceport.
Three years later, Solo became embroiled in a plot to steal a shipment of the precious fuel from a 20-T Railcrawler conveyex transport on Vandor for Dryden Vos and the Crimson Dawn. Due to the interference of Enfys Nest and her Cloud-Riders, Solo chose to release the coaxium rather than follow Tobias Beckett's orders to fly straight towards a mountainside. The Cloud-Riders' swoops were unable to hold up the heavy container on their own and were forced to drop it, causing a massive explosion that collapsed the mountainside.
Finally, Solo, together with Qi'ra, Lando Calrissian, the Wookiee Chewbacca, and L3-37 made the Kessel Run to obtain unrefined coaxium from the Pykes and bring it back to Vos in repayment for their past failures. This time, Solo succeeded, bringing the shipment to Savareen to be refined. He and his associates were soon confronted by the Cloud-Riders, who revealed Crimson Dawn's intention to use the coaxium to spread death across the galaxy.
Deciding to doublecross Crimson Dawn, Solo fed false information to Beckett, knowing he would sell him out to Vos, that he would be bringing two crates full of counterfeit coaxium, when in fact he was bringing the real shipment. Both Beckett and Vos were fooled by his ruse as the Crimson Dawn enforcers attempted to ambush the Cloud-Riders only to be fooled by decoys and empty crates before they were dispatched. Beckett soon took Chewbacca hostage at blasterpoint to carry the coaxium off Vos's yacht, but Solo soon caught up to him and killed Beckett. Afterwards, he gave the coaxium to the Cloud-Riders to fund their growing rebellion. After declining Enfys's offer for Solo to join them, she provided him a single vial of coaxium, which he used in a sabacc game against Calrissian over the Millennium Falcon.
In 1 ABY, the MC80 Star Cruiser Aurora Flare was carrying a large amount of coaxium from the Redhurne system. Upon hearing the news of king Lee-Char's murder, the Aurora Flare crashed into an Imperial-class Star Destroyer, creating an opening for many other Mon Calamari cruisers to flee to the rebel-controlled Mako-Ta Space Docks.
- Star Wars Battlefront II (DLC)
- Han Solo - Imperial Cadet 1
- Solo: A Star Wars Story
- Solo: A Star Wars Story: Train Heist
- Solo: A Star Wars Story: Expanded Edition
- Solo: A Star Wars Story: Expanded Edition audiobook
- Solo: A Star Wars Story: A Junior Novel
- Solo: A Star Wars Story Read-Along Storybook and CD
- Solo Adaptation 1
- Solo Adaptation 2
- Solo Adaptation 3 (Mentioned only)
- Solo Adaptation 4 (Mentioned only)
- Solo Adaptation 5
- Solo Adaptation 6
- Choose Your Destiny: A Han & Chewie Adventure (First mentioned)
- Star Wars Galaxy of Adventures – "Han Solo - Galaxy's Best Smuggler" (Appears in flashback(s))
- Star Wars 49: Mutiny at Mon Cala, Part VI
- Star Wars: Commander (First appearance)
- Star Wars Resistance – "Fuel for the Fire"
- Star Wars Resistance – "The Platform Classic" (Mentioned only)
- "Flight of the Falcon, Part 4: Lady and the Tramp"—Star Wars Adventures 17 (Mentioned only) (Appears in flashback(s))
- Solo: A Star Wars Story The Official Guide
- Solo: A Star Wars Story: Tales from Vandor
- Star Wars: Scum and Villainy: Case Files on the Galaxy's Most Notorious
- Star Wars: Smuggler's Guide