Cobb Sonbepol was a Gotal who was present in Chalmun's Cantina in the Mos Eisley spaceport on the planet Tatooine in the year 0 BBY. When local hermit Obi-Wan Kenobi and moisture farmer Luke Skywalker entered the cantina in search of a pilot, Sonbepol sat at a table conversing with fellow patrons Momaw Nadon and Trinto Duaba.
In the year 0 BBY, shortly before the Battle of Yavin, the Gotal Cobb Sonbepol sat in a booth right next to the door in Chalmun's Cantina in the Mos Eisley spaceport on the planet Tatooine, conversing with the Ithorian Momaw Nadon and the Stennes Shifter Trinto Duaba. While they spoke, local hermit Obi-Wan Kenobi and the young moisture farmer Luke Skywalker entered the cantina with their droids, C-3PO and R2-D2, to look for a pilot.
The bartender Wuher turned the droids away, leaving Kenobi and Skywalker to approach the bar alone. At the counter, Skywalker caught the attention of criminals Ponda Baba and Cornelius Evazan. While Nadon discussed putting down roots on Tatooine with Duaba in the booth with Sonbepol, the confrontation at the bar quickly escalated and drew interest from the rest of the cantina, ending when the criminal duo tried to attack Skywalker but were incapacitated by Kenobi with his lightsaber.
Personality and traitsEdit
Behind the scenesEdit
Cobb Sonbepol was portrayed by an uncredited actor in the 1977 original trilogy film, Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope. The character's costume in the film used the same mask and prop claws as Feltipern Trevagg and Hennet Kayn, the two other Gotal characters visible in the cantina.
The claws had originally been crafted by costume designer Rick Baker as props from the film It's Alive, which Baker had also previously worked on. They were modified with fur for Star Wars by make-up artist Laine Liska, who also created the character's mask. The cantina character Myo also used a separate pair of the same claw props but without the fur.
Having gone unnamed for forty years after first appearing in A New Hope, the Sonbepol character was first identified in 2017. During the "Behind the Scenes of the Cantina" panel at Star Wars Celebration Orlando that year, Lucasfilm Story Group member Pablo Hidalgo used elements of attendee Sonja Beyer-Paulsen's name to create the name "Cobb Sonbepol."
- Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope (First appearance)
- Ultimate Star Wars (Picture only)
- Star Wars: Complete Locations (Picture only)
- (Picture only)
- (Picture only)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 1.7 1.8 1.9 Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope
- ↑ Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates the events of Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope that occur prior to the Battle of Yavin, which includes Cobb Sonbepol's time in Chalmun's Cantina, to 0 BBY.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 screenshot) (
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Star Wars: Complete Locations
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Gotals seen in Chalmun's Cantina in Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope. provides Hennet Kayn's name, and Star Wars: Complete Locations provides the name of Feltipern Trevagg. shows that the same mask was used for the three
- ↑ Rick Baker for the film It's Alive, identifiable by the distinctive monster baby prop as seen in the following image: shows that the claws used in the Cobb Sonbepol costume were originally from a set of props all made by
- ↑ The Making of Star Wars: The Definitive Story Behind the Original Film