Colossus wasps were spacefaring insects that grew to be over a kilometer in length. Their varied diet consisted of living matter such as space slugs, inanimate matter like asteroidal minerals, and even pure energy such as stellar radiation. The wasps spent 18 out of every 25 months of the Ithull year in the asteroid field of the Stenness system foraging for sustenance. The other seven months were spent in the atmosphere of Ithull mating, spawning and raising their young.
Colossus wasps were one of a number of titanic creatures that were native to the planet Ithull in the Stenness Node. When they died, the local miners refurbished the carapace to create Ithullian ore haulers. Demand for ore haulers led to colossus wasp poaching, a business as deadly as it was illegal.
- Tales of the Jedi 4 (First appearance)
- "Straight from the Horse's Mouth: A Guide to the Star Wars: Tales of the Jedi Universe, Part 1"—Star Wars Insider 26
- "Straight from the Horse's Mouth: A Guide to the Star Wars: Tales of the Jedi Universe, Part 2"—Star Wars Insider 27
- Tales of the Jedi Companion
- The Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 11 (PLA8, Planets of the Inner Rim)
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia