Around 24,500 BBY it was the site of a battle during the First Great Schism. By the latter days of the Galactic Republic, Columus was something of a backwater, with Columi civilization having been overtaken in influence by younger species.
Though their technology was up to galactic standard, it was too specialized to attract significant trade. The Columi tried to attract trade by marketing their homeworld as a tourist destination, though the health benefits of Columus' low gravity were disputed.
During the Clone Wars, its therapeutic cloning technology was restricted as was all nonmilitary cloning. When the Galactic Empire turned its attentions towards Columus, the Columi reacted with uncharacteristic swiftness and joined the Imperial cause. Though the Columi feared and despised other, more "primitive" sentients, they were willing to lend assistance to the Empire in exchange for being left alone.
A minority of Columi went renegade, and lent their intellectual assistance to criminal organizations or even the Rebel Alliance. The Imperial sentientologist Obo Rin also claimed in his Catalog of Intelligent Life in the Galaxy that the Empire made first contact with the Columi, much as he did with the Mon Calamari.
- "CIS Shadowfeed Dispatch 14:7:01 Edition"—Star Wars Insider 68 (Mentioned only)
- Republic Commando: True Colors (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Dark Times 7: Parallels, Part 2 (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars Missions 15: Voyage to the Underworld (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars Encyclopedia
- A Guide to the Star Wars Universe, Third Edition
- The New Essential Chronology
- Jedi vs. Sith: The Essential Guide to the Force
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- The Essential Atlas
- Book of Sith: Secrets from the Dark Side
- The Essential Guide to Warfare