Within military organizations, the commanding officer (often abbreviated to C.O.) was the officer in charge of a military unit. Typically the commanding officer had ultimate authority over the unit, and was usually given wide latitude within the bounds of military law. In this respect, commanding officers have significant responsibilities, duties and powers.
A commanding officer may have been of any rank of commissioned officer; usually there were more officers than command positions available, and time spent in command, referred to as seniority, was generally a key aspect of promotion; therefore the role of commanding officer was highly valued, and in theory only goes to the best officers.
In most militaries, the commanding officer was often assisted by an executive officer (also abbreviated as X.O.), whose job it was to handle personnel and day-to-day non-combat operations. Larger units, such as large capital-class warships, also played host to a whole collection of staff officers.
- Star Wars: The Old Republic
- Star Wars: The Old Republic: Knights of the Fallen Empire
- Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided
- "Galaxywide NewsNets" – Star Wars Adventure Journal 10
- "Special Ops: Ship Jackers" – Star Wars Adventure Journal 13
- "The Longest Fall" – Star Wars Adventure Journal 11
- "Desperate Measures" – Star Wars Adventure Journal 10 (Mentioned only)
- (Mentioned only)
- "Conflict of Interest" – Star Wars Adventure Journal 13
- "Harm's Way"—The Kathol Rift
- "No Disintegrations, Please" – Star Wars Adventure Journal 14
- Flashpoint! Brak Sector
- Alliance Intelligence Reports
- The DarkStryder Campaign
- Galaxy Guide 3: The Empire Strikes Back, Second Edition
- "Imperial Garrisons" – Star Wars Adventure Journal 12
- Wretched Hives of Scum & Villainy
- Cracken's Threat Dossier
- "Special Ops: Drop Points" – Star Wars Adventure Journal 14
- "Special Military Unit Intelligence Update" – Star Wars Adventure Journal 15
- Star Wars: Force Collection (Card: General Rieekan)