Communication satellites, also known as comsats, were a form of high-bandwidth relays that were used for communication between two points that were at a large distance.
The Galactic Empire maintained a vast network of communications satellites used for surveillance with each satellite linked to the Imperial Security Bureau in Imperial City. The network allowed Imperial Security to monitor and control the Core Worlds and other territories of the Empire. At its peak, the network spanned as far as the Outer Rim Territories. Satellites were often hidden in asteroid fields or by uninhabited planets and were usually protected by mines. Destruction of surveillance satellites was actively pursued by the Rebel Alliance as a means to disrupt Imperial control.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: X-Wing (First appearance)
- Star Wars: X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter
- Black Ice
- Star Wars: X-Wing Alliance
- Star Wars: The Old Republic (Mentioned only)
Sources[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars Campaign Pack
- Rules of Engagement: The Rebel SpecForce Handbook (as comsat)
- Star Wars: X-Wing Alliance: Prima's Official Strategy Guide
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia (See comm slave satellites)