A confederation, also known as a confederacy, league, coalition or an alliance, was a system of government usually made up of many political units, often consisting of different planets and/or species which tend to be established for dealing with critical issues.
A confederation was usually understood as a loose coalition of independent and sovereign political units (planets, moons, corporations etc.), which were mostly created for different issues, like mutual military protection, diplomacy, internal trade and currency. In contrast to federations, where member worlds had to give up some sort of political autonomy to the central government, in a confederative system member worlds usually did not lose any of their autonomy, because the alliance was a voluntary matter in which each of the member states maintained their sovereignty and could secede from the alliance in any time if needed. This meant that under a confederal arrangement the central authority was relatively weak, usually made up of a unicameral governing body, where each of the member state's delegation had one vote and decisions had to made unanimously or by a supermajority, if they were to take any effect.[source?]
A confederation was usually established through a some sort of written document, a treaty or a charter, which provided the settings and aims of the coalition. Each of the members had to ratify the treaty before the confederacy could take into effect. Also any new potential members had to ratify and uphold the treaty before becoming a full fledged participant of the confederation. Since the treaty was not a legal constitution, like in a federal system, it did not act as a supreme law, but rather as an agreement between the members of the confederation.[source?]
There have been numerous confederations in galactic history:
- The Confederacy of Independent Systems, more commonly known as the Separatist Alliance or just Separatists, were systems that broke away from Galactic Republic.
- The Confederacy of Corporate Systems was a galactic government formed towards the end of the Galactic Civil War.
- The Armorers' Confederacy.
- The Calian Confederacy.
- The Confederacy of Independent Systems, more commonly known as the Separatists.
- The Confederation, which governed the Corellian sector in 40 ABY.
- The Granse Confederacy.
- The Indrexu Confederation.
- The Marzoon Confederation.
- The Ossiki Confederacy Army.
- The Qektoth Confederation.
- The Renatasian Confederation.
- The Separatist holdouts, which makes up the scattered remnants of the CIS.
- The Smugglers' Confederation.
- Thrawn's Empire.
- The Yedagon Confederacy.
- The Pirate Confederation.
Other confederacies included:
- Alliance of Free Planets
- Alliance to Restore the Republic
- Corporate Sector Authority
- Disciples of Ragnos
- Five Worlds
- Galactic Alliance Remnant
- Jedi Coalition
- Ktilac Regions
- New Republic (4–6.5 ABY)
- Stark Commercial Combine
- Pentastar Alignment
This is a disambiguation page—a navigational aid that lists other pages that might otherwise share the same title. If an article link referred you here, you might want to go back and fix it to point directly to the intended page.