The Consular-class cruiser, commonly referred to as Republic cruiser, was a Corellian Engineering Corporation starship used by the Galactic Republic to transport Jedi and diplomats to troubled spots across the galaxy.
The Consular-class space cruiser was a starship designed and manufactured by the Corellian Engineering Corporation and used by the Galactic Republic to transport Jedi and diplomats to troubled spots across the galaxy. Civilian models of the Consular-class cruiser were used for straight-forward transportation and were indistinct. Craft of the Consular class in diplomatic service were painted red to declare their diplomatic immunity and to also serve as a warning not to attack. Red was the color of ambassadorial relations and neutrality for capital ships of the Republic and had been so for many centuries. During the Clone Wars, these cruisers were painted the same colors as Republic attack cruisers. Any ship hailing from Coruscant would be painted entirely red; others would only have stripes.
The Republic cruiser was equipped with a salon pod that served as a secure meeting area for Republic representatives and leaders of groups in conflict. There was also a variety of salon pods that catered to different alien species. In emergency situations, the entire salon pod could eject from the mother craft, and with its own sensors, life support equipment, and engines, protect the diplomatic crew on board. The craft also carried a number of escape pods.
Although the diplomatic versions were unarmed, various cruisers were modified to have double turbolaser cannons and two concussion missile launchers installed and to serve in the Judicial Forces and regional security forces, at least some of which were then re-designated as either Republic light assault cruisers or Republic frigates. Others were modified to serve as troop carriers and command ships.
Consular cruisers entered service late in the time period of the Republic. An early version of the ship was built after the Ruusan Reformation and was put into service by 990 BBY. They were created due to budget cuts that required the building of new utilitarian and unostentatious starships; it was that quality of them that attracted the Jedi to their use.
During the prelude to the Invasion of Naboo in 32 BBY, it was a Consular-class cruiser, Radiant VII, that transported Qui-Gon Jinn and Obi-Wan Kenobi to the Trade Federation battleship Saak'ak orbiting Naboo. The ship was assigned a skeleton crew[source?] of one pilot and a captain. Both died when the Trade Federation destroyed the vessel.
Militarized Consular-classes known as Republic light assault cruisers served the Republic Navy in the Stark Hyperspace War and the Yinchorri Uprising. Those vessels had cannons and extra armor added to their design.
During the Clone Wars, some Consular-class ships went through the Charger c70 retrofit, having weapon batteries added and serving as small frigates in the Republic wartime Navy. They possessed a combination of firepower and speed that made them valuable components of the Navy.
The militarized Consular-class frigates had a paint job similar to the Venator-class Star Destroyers. The tradition of painting strictly diplomatic vessels red continued even into the days of the Galactic Empire. Princess Leia Organa's vessel, the Tantive IV, was striped in red to indicate diplomatic immunity.
A handful of armed cruisers were still in operation throughout the galaxy during the Galactic Civil War. The smuggler Rif Taranu aided the Rebel Alliance by using his modified cruiser Dead Reckoning to transport goods for them. Several were seen at the Jubilee Wheel early in the Yuuzhan Vong War, and participated in the Battle of Yag'Dhul.
Behind the scenesEdit
The early designs of the Consular-class cruiser had a smooth, "Coruscant-look" to it. After several iterations, George Lucas and Doug Chiang decided that the cruiser should have a strong visual link to the original trilogy. With that direction, Chiang and the Art Department devised a ship with a more rectilinear profile that echoed the design of Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hopes blockade runner. One of the last additions to the cruiser was the small antenna array that rests above the cockpit. Lucas felt that the ship needed "a little extra something" to guide the audience's eyes to that section of the ship.
- LEGO Star Wars: The Phantom Menace
- LEGO Star Wars: The Video Game
- LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga
- LEGO Star Wars III: The Clone Wars
- "Ships of Episode I"—Star Wars Insider 44
- Star Wars: Power of the Jedi
- Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace (reference book)
- Star Wars: Episode I Insider's Guide
- Star Wars: Episode I The Visual Dictionary
- Star Wars: Episode I Incredible Cross-Sections
- Starships of the Galaxy
- The New Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels
- The New Jedi Order Sourcebook
- Star Wars Customizable Card Game – Coruscant Limited (Card: Republic Cruiser)
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 8 (TAN2, Tantive IV and Escape Pod)
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 33 (REP1-2, Republic Cruiser)
- Star Wars: Complete Cross-Sections
- Starships of the Galaxy (Saga Edition)
- Echoes of the Jedi
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars: The Visual Guide
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- The Clone Wars Campaign Guide
- Star Wars: The Official Starships & Vehicles Collection 50
- The Essential Guide to Warfare
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars: Episode Guide
- Suns of Fortune
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 1.7 1.8 1.9 Star Wars: Episode I Incredible Cross-Sections
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 Star Wars Complete Cross-Sections
- ↑ 3.00 3.01 3.02 3.03 3.04 3.05 3.06 3.07 3.08 3.09 3.10 3.11 The Official Star Wars Fact File
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 4.5 4.6 Starships of the Galaxy (Saga Edition)
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 Star Wars: The Clone Wars: The Visual Guide
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 Starships of the Galaxy
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 The Clone Wars: Strange Allies
- ↑ Mask of the Pirate Queen
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 Darth Bane: Rule of Two
- ↑ The New Essential Chronology
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Ambush"
- ↑ The New Jedi Order: Agents of Chaos I: Hero's Trial