The Consular-class space cruiser, also known as the Consular-class Light Cruiser, and commonly referred to as the Republic Cruiser, was a starship used by the Galactic Republic during the events leading up to the Invasion of Naboo and during the Clone Wars.
Design[edit | edit source]
- "Captain, look!"
- ―The crew of the Radiant VII moments before its destruction.
Manufactured in the orbital shipyards of the Corellian Engineering Corporation, the Consular-class was a space cruiser propelled by three powerful Dyne 577 radial atomizer engines situated at the aft of the hundred-and-fifteen-meter vessel. It was also equipped with a Longe Voltrans tri-arc CD-3.2 hyperdrive, and protected by sturdy deflector shields generated from a cluster of radar dishes forward of its three engines. Aside from its shielding, the Consular-class was typically unarmed. A docking ring was located on the side of the vessel, and the bridge was situated at the fore, above a diplomatic salon pod.
History[edit | edit source]
- "What… what are they?"
"Sk… Skygift! They're Skygift!"
- ―Fighters in the Open-Closed War sighting a fleet of Consular-class cruisers
The Consular-class cruiser became recognizable throughout the galaxy during the last decades of the Galactic Republic, due to its distinctive shape and hue. Painted with a striking red color scheme, the cruiser's hue declared the ship's diplomatic immunity, as red marked a starship as neutral in the Republic. It also indicated that the vessel was conducting a mission on behalf of the Galactic Senate, the Supreme Chancellor, or the Jedi Order.
Supreme Chancellor Finis Valorum dispatched the Consular-class cruiser Radiant VII, carrying Jedi ambassadors Qui-Gon Jinn and Obi-Wan Kenobi, to negotiate the Blockade of Naboo by the Trade Federation. Docking within the landing bay of the Saak'ak, the Radiant VII was fired upon by a concealed turbolaser turret on the orders of Darth Sidious. The ship's crew were taken by surprise, and the vessel was destroyed.
A fleet of Republic cruisers arrived on Carnelion IV at the culmination of the Open-Closed War, after a summons by Obi-Wan Kenobi who claimed the planet's atmosphere had a high concentration of tibanna gas. The cruisers arrived to secure the planet and survey for signs of the gas, and their presence was enough to bring the battle between the Open and the Closed to a halt.
With the onset of the Clone Wars, numerous Consular-class cruisers were converted into frigates adapted for combat as part of Project Supercharger. These Republic frigates were equipped with new armored hulls and laser turrets.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Prequel Trilogy – A Graphic Novel
- Star Wars Journeys: The Phantom Menace (First identified as Consular-class space cruiser)
- Obi-Wan and Anakin 5
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Ambush"
- Jedi Fallen Order - Dark Temple 1 (In flashback(s))
- Jedi Fallen Order - Dark Temple 5 (In flashback(s))
- Ezra's Gamble (Mentioned only)
Sources[edit | edit source]
- (First identified as Republic Cruiser)
- Ultimate Star Wars
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 29 (Databank A-Z: Jelucan–Lord Junn) (Picture only)
- Star Wars Encyclopedia of Starfighters and Other Vehicles
- Rise of the Separatists (First identified as Consular-class Light Cruiser)
- Star Wars: Force Collection (Card: Antidar Williams (★) (link)) (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars Complete Vehicles, New Edition