The Gordarl Weaponsmiths containment field generator comprised two glowing orbs laced with complex circuitry. One orb was installed in the floor of a cell, with the other suspended directly above on the ceiling. The orbs generated a cone of magnetic energy approximately 2.5 meters tall, within which Geonosian jailers hung prisoners. Forced to wear metallic cuffs that bound them to the field, prisoners hover a few centimeters off the ground, held inside a 'magnetic bottle'.
The programmable cuffs locked in place within the field, meaning all but the strongest of prisoners were unable to move their limbs. The cuffs could also monitor life-signs, rotate the prisoner - to cause disorientation and a lack of concentration - and fire a stun charge into the prisoner's body. Electrical impulses snaking across the field had a direct impact on the prisoner's brain, further disrupting concentration and causing mild pain on its lowest setting. Prolonged exposure to the field could cause irreparable brain damage, while against Jedi, the field served to disrupt the captive's connection to the Force.
Despite these advantages, the containment field generator was expensive and required its own power generator. More, any nearby technology threatened to disrupt the delicate magnetic field, so the generator had to be installed in an isolated cell. The Geonosians only used these devices for their most dangerous or powerful captives.
Count Dooku used a Geonosian containment field to hold Obi-Wan Kenobi captive prior to the Battle of Geonosis. Dooku attempted to sway the incapacitated Jedi over to the dark side of the Force, but Obi-Wan resisted Dooku's words.
- Star Wars: The Old Republic
- Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones
- Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones comic
- Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones junior novel
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Dooku Captured"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Cargo of Doom"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Legacy of Terror"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Grievous Intrigue"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Citadel"
- LEGO Star Wars: The Video Game (Non-canonical appearance)
- LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga (Non-canonical appearance)
- (as security field)
- "The Great Herdship Heist" – Star Wars Adventure Journal 15
- The Jedi Academy Sourcebook
- The New Essential Guide to Weapons and Technology
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: The Card Game – Lure of the Dark Side (Card: Containment Field)