- "When your Rebellion started encroaching on the Mid Rim, the Emperor set his dog loose. You heard about the deaths of Moff Coovern and Minister Khemt?"
"Tragic accidents, as I recall."
"According to my sources, both died at the hand of Darth Vader."
- ―Everi Chalis reveals Coovern's true fate to Micha Evon
Coovern was a moff in the highest ranks of the Galactic Empire who attempted to replace Colonel Shakara Nuress as leader of the Empire's 204th Imperial Fighter Wing with Captain Jothal Gablerone. After the Rebel Alliance began a campaign into the Mid Rim around 1 ABY, Coovern and Minister Khemt were killed by the Sith Lord Darth Vader. Their deaths, reported as tragic accidents, were part of a purge of those who were blamed by Emperor Palpatine for the destruction of the Death Star superweapon.
- "Emperor Palpatine decided that incompetence at the highest ranks was to blame for the destruction of his Death Star, and from there began a culling. There were other deaths, less public."
- ―Everi Chalis explains the reason for Coovern's death to Micha Evon
During the Galactic Civil War, Coovern served among the highest echelons of the Galactic Empire, holding the rank of moff. Coovern once assigned Imperial Captain Jothal Gablerone to the Empire's 204th Imperial Fighter Wing to replace its commanding officer, Colonel Shakara Nuress, who ultimately refused to retire. Shortly after the Rebel Alliance began a campaign into the Mid Rim around 1 ABY, Coovern and Khemt, a minister who was also among the Empire's highest ranks, were both killed by the Sith Lord Darth Vader. Their deaths came as part of a purge of those whom Emperor Palpatine blamed for the loss of the Empire's Death Star superweapon.
Coovern and Khemt were officially claimed to have died in tragic accidents. However, Everi Chalis, the governor of the planet Haidoral Prime, learned how the moff had actually died through her own sources. In 3 ABY, Chalis defected to the Alliance's 61st Mobile Infantry and revealed the true nature of Coovern's death to the rebel company's captain, Micha Evon.
Behind the scenes
- Battlefront: Twilight Company (First mentioned, simultaneous with Battlefront: Twilight Company audiobook)
- Battlefront: Twilight Company audiobook (Mentioned only)
- Shadow Fall (Mentioned only)
- Shadow Fall audiobook (Mentioned only)
Notes and references
- The main events of Battlefront: Twilight Company are set twenty-two years after the Clone Wars, which ended in 19 BBY, according to Star Wars: Galactic Atlas. Those events must have therefore occurred in 3 ABY. The novel also states that Coovern died at the beginning of the Mid Rim campaign, which took place eighteen months prior to the main events of the novel. Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know establishes that a standard year was 365 days long, while the sixty-first issue of Star Wars: Build the Millenium Falcon sets the length of a standard month at thirty-five days, with eighteen months therefore being approximately 1.7 years. This sets Coovern's death around 1 ABY.
- Battlefront: Twilight Company
- Shadow Fall