- "And to do that, we must go to the lower levels. The underworld."
- ―Plo Koon
Skyscrapers towered above the highest level on Coruscant, Level 5127, upon which laid the Galactic City, but under the surface structures the levels of Coruscant descended down all the way to Level 1, which was deemed uninhabitable. The various levels of Coruscant were accessible by huge portals that also served as ventilation shafts. Covered by the surface structures, sunlight did not reach the lower levels leaving them in a perpetual state of darkness illuminated only by artificial lights for thousands of years. Undercity dwellers often had to breathe toxic fumes from millennia of urbanization, while wealthy citizens in the upper levels had access to rich and filtered air. Influential crime families operated in the lower levels of Coruscant, which were patrolled by the underworld police division of the Coruscant Security Force. The underworld was a haven for bounty hunters, pirates and criminal gangs, but also harbored war refugees and poor immigrants just trying to make a pitiful living. Devoid of all sunlight, the lower levels were polluted and infested with pests and dangerous escaped pets. The very lowest levels of the city were rumored to hold ancient secrets.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Non-canon appearances[edit | edit source]
Sources[edit | edit source]
Notes and references[edit | edit source]
- "The Right Wrong Turn"—Star Wars Adventures 25
- Catalyst: A Rogue One Novel
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "To Catch a Jedi"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Orders"
- The Mighty Chewbacca in the Forest of Fear!
- Star Wars: Scum and Villainy: Case Files on the Galaxy's Most Notorious
- "One Thousand Levels Down"—Star Wars Insider 151
- Obi-Wan and Anakin 2
- Battlefront II: Inferno Squad
- Star Wars Propaganda: A History of Persuasive Art in the Galaxy
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Lethal Trackdown"
- Star Wars: Complete Locations
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia