- "All energy from the Living Force, from all things that have ever lived, feeds into the Cosmic Force, binding everything and communicating to us through the midi-chlorians. Because of this, I can speak to you now."
- ―The spirit of Qui-Gon Jinn, communing with Yoda
The Cosmic Force, also known as the greater Force, was an aspect of the Force, described by the wisest of Jedi Masters as a "unifying gestalt." Through the Living Force, it made possible the phenomenon of Force ghosts.
- "It is their code that kills life […] their adherence to the will of the Force."
- ―Kreia, on the Jedi's enslavement to the will of the Cosmic Force
During the Clone Wars, when explaining how he was able to appear before Yoda as an incomplete Force ghost, Qui-Gon Jinn explained that all energy from the Living Force fed into the Cosmic Force through the midi-chlorians, which enabled their communication.
In 18 BBY, Darth Vader was temporarily overcome by the power of the Cosmic Force when he poured bota into the chest plate of his armor. Later, while being introduced to Chan Dash by Den Dhur, the Jedi Jax Pavan experienced a sudden surge of Force power within him, something far stronger than he had ever felt before. Within this flood of power, he experienced a metaphysical vision of the entire galactic whirlpool and at the same time felt connected to it. Following this experience, he recognized that the Force itself had granted him a gift, a connection to the great unifying gestalt that Jedi Masters referred to as the Cosmic Force. Pavan later recalled this experience while meditating in his quarters on the Far Ranger.
During a meeting with the high-ranking officers aboard the first Death Star in 0 BBY, after Admiral Conan Antonio Motti arrogantly claimed that the Death Star was indestructible while implying they should use it, Vader inferred that the Cosmic Force's capabilities left even the Death Star's capabilities comparatively inferior, which later resulted in Vader Force-choking Motti after the latter mocked Vader's capabilities and his beliefs in the Force.
Behind the scenes
- "He drew in a deep breath, his mind hovering on the verge of epiphany. He felt an echo from that moment of ineffable peace when, months earlier, he had for a brief flash touched the hem of the Cosmic Force."
- ―Description of Jax Pavan recalling having accessed the Cosmic Force
The Cosmic Force was first mentioned in Star Wars (1977) 1, the first-ever comics adaptation of Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope, which predated the release of the film itself by a month. In the comic, Vader's line that "The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the Force" is modified slightly to specify "the Cosmic Force." The Cosmic Force first appeared in the novel Coruscant Nights III: Patterns of Force by Michael Reaves and Maya Kaathryn Bohnhoff.
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Voices" (Mentioned only)
- Coruscant Nights II: Street of Shadows (Mentioned only)
- Coruscant Nights III: Patterns of Force (First appearance)
- The Last Jedi (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars (1977) 1 (First mentioned)