In Ewok society, a Council of Elders ruled each of their villages. The leading member of each council was the village's chief. Chief Chirpa took this role for the Bright Tree Village tribe, with Kazak acting as First Elder.
The council did not always see eye to eye; when Chief Chirpa announced that his daughter, Princess Kneesaa, would succeed him as leader of the tribe, the council led by Kazak vehemently disagreed due to the fact that she was a woman and therefore would not be strong enough the lead the tribe. He stated that a new leader of the Ewok tribe was to be chosen; the council would make the decision of succession. He and the other Elders later recanted their decision after Kneesaa led the women and children of the village in a successful defense against Zorbian space pirates under Captain Krag.
- How the Ewoks Saved the Trees: An Old Ewok Legend
- Ewoks 2: Rites of Power
- Ewoks 3: Flight to Danger
- Ewoks 4: Valley of Evil (Appears in flashback(s))
- Ewoks 7: The Perilous Laughing Spell
- Ewoks 10: The Demons of Endor
- Ewoks 13: The Black Cavern
- Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi (First appearance)
- A Guide to the Star Wars Universe (Chief Chirpa)
- "Meet Wicket!"—Star Wars Kids 6
- Star Wars: The Action Figure Archive
- Star Wars Customizable Card Game – Endor Limited (Card: Chief Chirpa)
- C-3PO: Tales of the Golden Droid
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia