- "Crait? I've never even heard of that system."
"With good reason. There's nothing there—or there shouldn't be."
- ―Ress Batten and Leia Organa
Crait was a small salty mineral planet located in a remote sector of the galaxy's Outer Rim Territories. Covered with a layer of white salt over its red soil, the planet once hosted a Rebel Alliance outpost during their early rebellion against the Galactic Empire. Many years later, the uninhabited planet became a haven for Leia Organa's Resistance, which resulted in a battle between the Resistance and the First Order on the planet's surface.
- "Not exactly the hottest holiday spot in the galaxy, is it? Though I guess if you really want to get away from it all, this is the place."
- ―Ress Batten
Crait was a small, desolate, and uninhabited planet located in a remote star system of the same name. The planet was rich in minerals and orbited one star. A thick crust of white-colored salt covered nearly the entire planet surface, with red-colored rhodocrosite base beneath. Dominated by large salt flats, the planet also featured mountains, canyons, and deeply sunken waterways—which were possibly home to aquatic creatures. The planet had a atmosphere breathable to oxygen-breathers, such as humans. The white salt-covered surface reflected the planet's sunlight, which would be blinding at midday. The sodium-containing salt also made the planet surface slippery, hard to travel; with gusts of wind sending up flumes of white salt. The planet was also inhabited by Vulptices, fox-like creatures with white, crystalline fur that lived within the burrows and tunnels beneath the surface of Crait.
- "I find you in the middle of some kind of…insurgent camp, and I'm the one who has to answer questions?"
- ―Leia Organa, to Bail Organa
During the reign of the Galactic Empire, the early rebel movement—a loose network of rebel cells led in secret by Senator Bail Organa of Alderaan—established a secret outpost on the northern continent of the planet Crait. In the year 3 BBY, one of these rebel groups attacked Calderos Station, a large Imperial facility used as a deep-space waypoint, to weaken Imperial control and cover rebel shipment tracks to Crait. Although the rebels presumed that all data about Calderos Station was erased, Bail's adopted daughter, Princess Leia Organa, managed to find some old space traffic data which linked Crait and Calderos Station. To discover the identity of the attacker, Leia Organa and her guard Lieutenant Ress Batten traveled to Crait aboard the Polestar. After the ship landed on the planet's surface, Leia was detained by rebel soldiers as she refused their proposal to leave Crait immediately. Upon being taken to the base, Leia found out that it was her father who was in charge of this facility, and her parents were secretly organizing a rebel movement against the Empire.
The rebel movement eventually turned into a more organized Rebel Alliance, and the Crait outpost was abandoned some time before the Battle of Scarif in 0 BBY, which marked the outbreak of the Galactic Civil War.
Later in the Galactic Civil War, Rebel heroes Leia, Han Solo, and Luke Skywalker led the Rebellion to Crait while searching for a location for a new Rebel base. During the search, they encountered Trusk Berinato, a male individual who employed some mining droids to work in the Mines of Crait. As Berinato showed the site to Leia and Solo, the Empire's SCAR Squad had arrived and fought Leia's team. However, SCAR squad was forced to limp away and Leia knew that Crait was not a viable location for a new base.
First Order–Resistance War
Many years later, some time after the destruction of the Starkiller Base in 34 ABY, Crait became a haven for the fleeing forces of the Resistance, a small military force founded by Leia Organa to combat the First Order. As a result, the planet became a battleground between the two factions, which involved V-4X-D ski speeders and the Millennium Falcon facing off with All Terrain MegaCaliber Six walkers, First Order AT-ATs, TIE/fo, and TIE/sf space superiority fighters.
- "Are there any life signs?"
"Some movement in the canyons, possibly aquatic creatures, but on the surface—we've got one tiny scratch of a settlement up here on the northern continent."
- ―Leia Organa and Ress Batten
Crait was a desolate and uninhabited world which had neither orbital stations nor spaceports. Prior to 3 BBY, the early rebellion against the Empire established a secret outpost on the northern continent of the planet. The outpost was still there and became a haven for the Resistance some time after 34 ABY. Additionally, Crait hosted mines to extract the planet's minerals.
Behind the scenes
- "It's way out there. It's very remote. It's uncharted. It's a mineral planet and so there are mines on it."
- ―Rian Johnson
Crait was created and developed for the 2017 film Star Wars: Episode VIII The Last Jedi. The planet was first mentioned in the 2016 reference guide Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide, written by Pablo Hidalgo. Crait made its first appearance in the 2017 young-adult novel Leia, Princess of Alderaan, written by Claudia Gray.
First footage of Crait was revealed in the very first teaser trailer for The Last Jedi. The real-world location for Crait was Salar de Uyuni, the world's largest salt flat, located in Bolivia. According to the film's writer and director, Rian Johnson, Crait would "play a key role in the movie."
Crait was also included in Star Tours: The Adventures Continue, Disney's simulator ride theme park attraction. Anthony Daniels reprised his role as C-3PO for the new sequence, which debuted at Disneyland Park and Disney's Hollywood Studios on November 17, 2017. Additionally, Electronic Arts made Crait a DLC for the video game Star Wars Battlefront II as a "Galactic Assault" map on December 13, 2017, coinciding with the release of The Last Jedi.
- Star Tours: The Adventures Continue (First pictured)
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 Star Wars: The Last Jedi: The Visual Dictionary
- ↑ 2.00 2.01 2.02 2.03 2.04 2.05 2.06 2.07 2.08 2.09 2.10 2.11 2.12 2.13 2.14 2.15 Leia, Princess of Alderaan
- ↑ Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary, New Edition
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Star Wars: Alien Archive
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 7.3 7.4 7.5 7.6 7.7 7.8
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 8.3 8.4 Breznican, Anthony (2017-04-14). Rian Johnson reveals details of new planet in The Last Jedi trailer. Entertainment Weekly. ew.com. Archived from the original on April 24, 2017. Retrieved on April 24, 2017.
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 Star Wars: Episode VIII The Last Jedi
- ↑ Breznican, Anthony (2017-11-20). Luminous Beings: How Star Wars: The Last Jedi's crystal foxes came to life. Entertainment Weekly. ew.com. Archived from the original on November 20, 2017. Retrieved on November 20, 2017.
- ↑ Ahsoka
- ↑ Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
- ↑ Star Wars: The Last Jedi – The Storms of Crait 1
- ↑ 14.0 14.1 Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- ↑ Star Tours Disney Parks Panel | Star Wars Celebration 2017
- ↑ screenshot) (
- ↑ Savvas, George (2017-10-18). New Adventure from Star Wars: The Last Jedi Coming to Star Tours This Fall. Disney Parks Blog. Archived from the original on October 18, 2017. Retrieved on October 18, 2017.
- ↑ Choose a Side: The Last Jedi Season Is Coming. Electronic Arts. ea.com (2017-11-09). Archived from the original on November 12, 2017. Retrieved on November 12, 2017. "On December 13, the cinematic content from Star Wars™: The Last Jedi continues with a new planetary map: Crait."
- Breznican, Anthony (2017-04-14). Rian Johnson reveals details of new planet in The Last Jedi trailer. Entertainment Weekly. ew.com. Archived from the original on April 24, 2017. Retrieved on April 24, 2017.
- It's LEGO Star Wars like never before… in 360! 💫 Join Rey and Finn against the First Order, and put yourself in the middle of the action.. Star Wars (September 30, 2017, 1:00 pm). Retrieved on October 29, 2017. (archive copy created on October 29, 2017)