The Crait outpost, also known as Crait Base, or the Resistance base, was an outpost of the Alliance to Restore the Republic on the mineral planet of Crait. Rebel pilot Heff Tobber was stationed there as a transport pilot until its abandonment prior to the Battle of Scarif in 0 BBY. In 34 ABY, the abandoned base was still there when a battle broke out between the Resistance and the First Order on the planet.
Description[edit | edit source]
The outpost was a rough, bare-bones facility. It was mostly underground and had a small tractor beam for snagging approaching ships. A massive metal door protected it from exterior attack and served as the only obvious entry and exit way. Outside of the door were a number of long trenches as well as six V-120 and eight V-232 artillery emplacements to defend against enemy attacks. The base also had a shield generator that was powerful enough to prevent orbital bombardment. The base was protected by a series of artillery batteries and trenches, as well as being home to a large mineral mine.
History[edit | edit source]
The rebellion[edit | edit source]
It was first founded before 3 BBY as an outpost of the early rebellion. After finding information leading to the planet, Princess Leia Organa of Alderaan traveled to Crait on the royal yacht Polestar. Upon landing, she was taken to the outpost, where she discovered that her father Bail Organa was involved in the rebellion. Following the destruction of the first Death Star, Leia, Captain Han Solo and Luke Skywalker took a team to Crait to see if it would work as a new base for the Rebel Alliance. Leia was then taken into the outpost's old mineral mines. However, Trusk Berinato alerted SCAR Squadron and the rebels were forced to abandon the outpost after a firefight with the SCAR troopers.
First Order–Resistance war[edit | edit source]
After the Battle of Starkiller Base, the Resistance evacuated to the base after their original base on the planet of D'Qar was discovered by the First Order. The First Order followed the Resistance to the world, which sparked the Battle of Crait.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
The Crait outpost was first mentioned in the 2016 reference book Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide, written by Pablo Hidalgo. The base later appeared in the 2017 novel Leia, Princess of Alderaan, written by Claudia Gray.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars Battlefront II (DLC)
- Star Wars: Starfighter Missions
- Leia, Princess of Alderaan (First appearance)
- Leia Organa: Ordeal of the Princess
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi – The Storms of Crait 1 (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Squadrons (Indirect mention only)
- Galaxy's Edge: Black Spire (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars: Episode VIII The Last Jedi (First identified as Resistance base)
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: Expanded Edition
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: A Junior Novel
- The Last Jedi storybook
- The Last Jedi Adaptation 5
- The Last Jedi Adaptation 6
- Star Wars: Tales from the Galaxy's Edge
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: Expanded Edition (Indirect mention only)
Sources[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide (First mentioned)
- Star Wars: The Rebel Files (First identified as Crait Base)
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: The Visual Dictionary
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: Incredible Cross-Sections
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: Ultimate Sticker Collection
- The Last Jedi: Rose Tico: Resistance Fighter
- Star Wars: Alien Archive
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 71 (Weapons & Uniforms: Blue Squadron)
- (Picture only)
Notes and references[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
- Breznican, Anthony (2017-04-14). Rian Johnson reveals details of new planet in The Last Jedi trailer. Entertainment Weekly. ew.com. Archived from the original on April 24, 2017. Retrieved on April 24, 2017.