The Crucible was a Paladin-class corvette operated by the Jedi Order. The ship, which had been in service from the time of its construction during the Old Republic through to the Clone Wars, was used to ferry Jedi younglings from Coruscant to Ilum. Once on Ilum, the younglings would undergo a ritual called The Gathering, in which they would find the kyber crystals for their first lightsabers. After retrieving the crystal, the students would learn from Huyang, an ancient droid who would assist in the creation of their lightsabers.
The Crucible was a Paladin-class corvette that had a work area with many drawer storage compartments, in which Professor Huyang kept all the parts necessary to construct a complete lightsaber, with the exception of the unique kyber crystals that formed the heart of the weapon. By stepping up onto crates, Huyang could reach the higher compartments to search for parts as needed.
During the Clone Wars, six Jedi younglings, Petro, Ganodi, Byph, Katooni, Zatt and Gungi, were selected to travel in the Crucible to the sacred planet Ilum to take part in the ancient Jedi ritual known as The Gathering. When they returned to the ship, Huyang helped the younglings determine the styling of their individual lightsabers. Then, the professor found appropriate hilt casings and any other stylized parts, then provide the inner workings for assembly. A holographic diagram of a lightsaber's exploded view was continuously on display as a guiding blueprint, while the younglings' Jedi escort Ahsoka Tano and Huyang supervised the build process. Huyang would also perform the final inspections of the new weapons, and inform the younglings whether or not there was more work to be done.
When the ship was attacked by pirates, they took Tano hostage, leaving the younglings, Huyang, and R2-D2 left onboard. They would follow the pirates to the planet Florrum to rescue Tano. However, when they tried to escape, the Crucible was destroyed by one of the pirates' WLO-5 speeder tanks. Following the Battle on Florrum, Hondo Ohnaka and the surviving pirates would salvage the wreckage of the ship.
Behind the scenesEdit
The design of the ship was based on the ancient Jedi Defender-class Corellian ships from the Legends video game Star Wars: The Old Republic. According to concept artists David Le Merrer and Russell Chong, the Crucible was known as the New Horizon during the design phase. The ship would have been the main ship that the younglings would use in a proposed The Clone Wars spin-off, which was thought of by George Lucas just before the selling of Lucasfilm Ltd. to The Walt Disney Company.
- "The Weapon"—Age of Republic Special 1 (Appears in flashback(s))
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Gathering"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "A Test of Strength"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Bound for Rescue"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "A Necessary Bond"
- "Almost a Jedi"—The Clone Wars: Stories of Light and Dark
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Revival" (First appearance) (Wreckage only)
- Star Wars Encyclopedia of Starfighters and Other Vehicles
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 72 (Weapons & Uniforms: Training the Jedi)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Star Wars Encyclopedia of Starfighters and Other Vehicles
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Gathering"
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "A Test of Strength"
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Bound for Rescue"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "A Necessary Bond"
- ↑ (Slide 7)