A crystal growth tray was a device used for growing crystals that consisted of a central bronze-colored dish with three gray stabilization struts ending in flat circular heat shields. The Jedi-in-training Rey owned a crystal growth tray which she kept on her workbench in the Resistance base on the moon Ajan Kloss, where she flexed her mechanical skills, studied the sacred Jedi texts, and worked on mending the broken kyber crystal in the Skywalker lightsaber.
In 35 ABY, the tray was sat on the workbench filled with blue crystal seeds in a growth medium when Rey was informed that the Millennium Falcon YT-1300 light freighter had returned to base.
Behind the scenes
A crystal growth tray first appeared in the 2019 sequel trilogy film, Star Wars: Episode IX The Rise of Skywalker. It was first identified in the accompanying reference book Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: The Visual Dictionary, which was written by Pablo Hidalgo.
- Star Wars: Episode IX The Rise of Skywalker (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: The Visual Dictionary (First identified as crystal growth tray)
Notes and references
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: The Visual Dictionary
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: The Visual Dictionary dates the events of Star Wars: Episode IX The Rise of Skywalker to one year after the events of Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens. As Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates the events of The Force Awakens to 34 ABY, the events of The Rise of Skywalker, which includes the appearance of the crystal growth tray, must occur in 35 ABY.
- Star Wars: Episode IX The Rise of Skywalker