A crystal growth tray was a device used for growing crystals that consisted of a central bronze-colored dish with three gray stabilization struts ending in flat circular heat shields. The Jedi-in-training Rey owned a crystal growth tray which she kept on her workbench in the Resistance base on the moon Ajan Kloss, where she flexed her mechanical skills, studied the sacred Jedi texts, and worked on mending the broken kyber crystal in the Skywalker lightsaber.
In 35 ABY, the tray was sat on the workbench, filled with blue crystal seeds in a growth medium when Rey was informed that the Millennium Falcon YT-1300 light freighter had returned to base. The tray was in the same position when Rey later retrieved the Rammahgon, one of the Jedi texts, from a container near the bench.
Behind the scenes
A crystal growth tray first appeared in the 2019 sequel trilogy film, Star Wars: Episode IX The Rise of Skywalker. It was first identified in the accompanying reference book Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: The Visual Dictionary, which was written by Pablo Hidalgo.
- Star Wars: Episode IX The Rise of Skywalker (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: The Visual Dictionary (First identified as crystal growth tray)
Notes and references
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: The Visual Dictionary
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: The Visual Dictionary states that the events of Star Wars: Episode IX The Rise of Skywalker occur thirty five years after the Battle of Yavin. As Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates the Battle of Yavin to 0 BBY, the events of The Rise of Skywalker must occur in 35 ABY.
- Star Wars: Episode IX The Rise of Skywalker