- "He's more machine now than man, twisted and evil."
- ―Obi-Wan Kenobi describes Darth Vader's cybernetics
A cyborg, sometimes called a mod, was any living, organic being, sentient or not, whose body was enhanced with machine parts. Cybernetic augmentation was an invasive process that changed a being's brain functions and physiology in significant ways, so much so that it was usually irreversible.
Cybernetic technology could be used to help repair a body or sustain a life to varying degrees. Luke Skywalker received a cybernetic hand after losing his original hand in a lightsaber duel, while almost the entirety of General Grievous' body was replaced by cybernetic limbs and other body parts. After falling to the dark side and becoming Darth Vader, Anakin Skywalker was severely burned on Mustafar, requiring him to live in a cybernetic suit of armor for the rest of his life. In addition, all of his limbs were amputated and required mechanical replacements. The Zero Angle cantina had a cyborg bartender, Florn. Guavian security soldiers were cybernetically enhanced humans that served as the enforcers of the Guavian Death Gang. Fennec Shand had a cybernetic lower abdomen after she was shot and nearly killed by Toro Calican.
Notes and references
- Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia
- The Book of Boba Fett – "Chapter 4: The Gathering Storm"
- Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back
- Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
- "Last Call at the Zero Angle" – Star Wars Insider 156
- Star Wars Character Encyclopedia: Updated and Expanded
- The Mandalorian – "Chapter 14: The Tragedy"
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace